#1 DLeicht

DLeicht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Do you ever go back and delete older stories you've written and self published through either Smashwords or Amazon? I've grown a lot with my writing over the years and wonder if agents consider things like this. Would it be better to approach an agent with a "clean slate" or a catalog of stories that have shown your progression over the years? I've noticed, and been told, I've grown a lot with my description and characters, both of which weren't as strong when I first entered into self publishing. 

Should I dive back into older stories and rework them using what I know now? What's your opinion/experience on the matter? 

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

I think reworking old stories and republishing them is fine, but I'd recommend doing it as new stories. Lots of stories have been recast, reshaped, altogether rewritten, and then republished. And tons of famous writers tread over ground they've worn down from frequent visits. For example, how many wrestlers, trips to Vienna, or bears has John Irving mentioned?

#3 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Four available novels from Harper Collins (see my signature) and an upcoming title from Pengun / Putnam (GIVEN TO THE SEA 4.11.17)

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Are you asking if you should delete older stories that are out there under your name that don't necessarily show your best work?

I would, for sure. Especially if they are not generating any revenue for you. An agent who is interested in your will Google you, and if it turns up subpar stuff it could hurt you.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  

@MindyMcGinnis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users