#1 only014ever

only014ever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

Are there any agents that represent poets? I have a poetry book and I am searching for an agent to submit a query letter to but I'm can't seem to find an agent that accepts poetry submissions.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

Look through agentquery.com, the database related to this social community, and do a search. I'm sure there are agents who represent authors who write poetry, but I don't know how many represent poets, per se. It's not a lucrative area in general. For agents to have interest, they need their percentage to actually be worth their time.

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of an agent signing an author based on the prospects of selling a chapbook of poetry. The process for publishing poetry is very different, as for the most part it's covered by small presses (that you don't need an agent to submit to).  I recommend choosing a few poems singly and trying to place them in a few reputable magazines. (Avoid reading fees, and make sure the rights are first-run only and they revert to you after publication). When you have a few out, you can use this to garner attention for the collection and send directly to presses and contests like the Yale Award, etc. 

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

My friends who've had poetry published have mostly gone through university presses. One won a prize through a university press that included publication, and the book itself was beautiful and very well done. But I know she didn't sell a whole lot of them.

#5 taylor lexi

taylor lexi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Maybe things have changed but the last time i checked there are no agents who represent poetry books because there's not enough money in it to get the attention of an agent. Poets have to find their own publishers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users