12 replies to this topic

#1 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:had pictures and directions on something I created and was given credit as a costume tech in The Outlaw series.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

I have been using google docs but lately it's been acting up on me and I was wondering if there is another free program out there that works well, Can't afford word. Thanks.

#2 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:38 AM

Google Docs may be your best bet. Good, free writing apps that can handle manuscripts are hard to come by. I use Scrivener and it's only about $75 if I recall. The iPad version is $20 and both are money well spent. Being able to organize my ideas and stories and novels and artwork and research and, etc. etc. etc. is indispensable

#3 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:had pictures and directions on something I created and was given credit as a costume tech in The Outlaw series.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Thank you. I will look into that one. Google docs is nice because it's free but with the problems I have been experiencing lately I think I'd rather pay for a dependable one.

#4 mkaribarr

mkaribarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My children's story -- is called Thinktacular Thoughts
    I have a short story in an anthology called pandora's Box, my story is called Wishbox. Plus a few self published things at smashwords

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

If you want a place to write a story and not have it get lost you could try online story writing programs like  http://www.litlift.com/

or https://www.fastpencil.com/ but you will still want to use google docs for other applications.

You could even write in your own email and save as drafts or send to another account. But these writing programs are sometimes fun to use, so it doesn't hurt to give one of them a try. 

Kari 

M. Kari Barr  

#5 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thank you! Will look into both of those! It seems lately that all I do is write so multiple programs would be ideal for me. They might help me keep it all organized better.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

I"ve also heard of Libre Office, which is like a free version of the MS office suite. I've never used it, but I've heard many people mention it.

#7 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

Thank you! I just love all the options here! As I said earlier, with multiple projects in the works I can use more than one!

#8 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

If you plan on being a professional writer, get MS Word. That's what your agent will use. That's what your editors will use.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#9 Clerik

Clerik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published first novel. Published college newsletter. Article in church newsletter. Poetry volume. Public Relations writer for Presidential candidate.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

I use Libre Office. It can translate docs into and out of Word. Best of all it's free. Of course, I also run Linux, so using Word is out.

#10 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:A few short stories.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

Check out the subscription for Office 365, you can download a local version of Word for a very reasonable price.  I think it is only $70-$100 per year which also includes other Office apps like Excel.  This is what I picked up recently when I bought my new laptop.

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

If you have more than one computer, you can get a five-license package for about $100 for the year, which is what I did. I'm happy with that as it allows me a lot of flexibility.

#12 KimYoonmi

KimYoonmi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Have one short story published in Crossed Genres

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Open Office/Libre Office/Neo Office...

There is also ywriter, which is similar to Scrivener for the PC, it's free, but has a high learning curve.

East Asian, so surname first, given name second.

#13 taylor lexi

taylor lexi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

I’m pretty fond of Pages, myself. The web version is free. If you buy a Mac, the desktop version is free, and they can be set to sync files via iCloud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users