3 replies to this topic

#1 theboldfox

theboldfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've been writing since I could put a noun to a verb. Currently, my most consuming writing project is the art and culture blog Montreal Rampage (www.montrealrampage.com).

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

I struggle with this. I've been saying YA dystopian, but not sure if I should also say it is sci-fi, action, suspense, or political thriller?

Super fast summary of the plot: The government in Mathilda's country Calapena is overthrown by the lower class. Her uncle and father are in politics and her mother an academic, so all of them are targeted by the new government and end up in prison. Mathilda first escapes to a neighbouring country and then returns to rescue her family members. 

The story is set on earth in what is the not-so-distant future and there are some references to new technologies, surveillence, changes to world governments. There is a war, a missing Prince, refugees, and a plague too.

Good karma! Please have a look at my query if you have a moment: http://agentquerycon...s-ya-dystopian/

#2 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:50 AM

People have a hard time understanding dystopias because popular culture has skewed definition in the meaning in the sights and sounds to be something more like I wish I could have an iPod but I can't so I'm living in a dystopia. Traditionally a dystopian society is one where everything is that everyone is suffering and almost no one has the better person. The government is totalitarian and there is no option to leave a it or escape it.

Dystopians also rely heavily on the setting to drive the main character forward. It can't simply be a poor persons revolt. They bring social issues to the forefront as main aspects of the plot. Future new tech is nice, but not always necessary.

If your story and plot relates to this then it's most likely a dystopia.

#3 dinosaurinhats

dinosaurinhats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

This sounds to me like a YA dystopian. The best way to determine genre, in my opinion, it to evaluate which elements drive the force of your story the most. For example, take out all the sci-fi aspects. Are you still left with mostly the same plot and the same theme? Then that's probably not your driving genre. If you take out all the dystopian aspects and thus it effects every other part of your plot, then that would most likely be your driving genre. 

Hope that helps!

#4 manego90

manego90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

I would lean more towards political thriller. But it is very reasonable if you classify it as YA dystopian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users