Disclaimer

Photo

Which title for my YA Historical Novel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Which title for my YA Historical Novel? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which title for my YA Historical Novel?

1. Robert of Lincoln and the Secret Rhymes of Robin Hood (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. The Secret Rhymes of Robin Hood: A Robert of Lincoln Novel (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Robin Hood Rising (8 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 billluton

billluton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet. I published my doctoral dissertation, but I don't think my YA audience is going to want to read that ;)

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

REVISED 3/8/17

Thanks for answering my poll! While you're thinking about my book, would you check out my query and post some feedback? Need your help!

All the best,

Bill

My Query for Critique

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Honestly, each one feels a bit too wordy.  I'm not sure Robert of Lincoln need be included anywhere in the title.

#3 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

I agree with Testome--all the titles seem a bit wordy.

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

the are all too long and since Robin Hood is a "marquee name" and Robert of Lincoln is not--I think we both know who needs trimming ;)

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 DogHugger

DogHugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:FREYJA'S DAUGHTER (2018 from City Owl Press)

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

I agree that the title options are too wordy. 

#6 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

I don't know, I kind of like "Robin Hood Rising."

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#7 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

Of the three the last. BUT I would not get too attached to any title (unless you are self-publishing) because while you will have input titles fall under marketing and your publisher will ultimately have the final say

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#8 RossWrites

RossWrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

A friend in the profession once told me that three or four words is the "golden range" for titles.

#9 Brittany Astor

Brittany Astor

Lace, pearls and petticoats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

I chose 'Robin Hood Rising', because as everyone else mentioned, the others were too wordy.

'Robin Hood Rising' lets the reader know immediately what sort of story they're about to read - an origin story, about Robin Hood! The two 'R' sounds in the title also work well together.

Just my take!

Budding writer of historical YA fiction...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users