1 reply to this topic

#1 kasenlrdek

kasenlrdek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet. Just a newbie.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

I am new here. I am 75% done with my first YA novel, and think it's going well so far. However, I suck at names for things. 

Basically, the main character is a girl in a domestic relationship with her partner. She meets someone, and she ends up falling for her new princess in shining armour. BANG PLOT TWIST, her new partner gets diagnosed with cancer a few months into the relationship (just as her father did from drinking water poisoned with pesticides when she was young). 

A mashup of mushy feelings, abusive relationships, artsy aspects, and comical moments. 

(Haven't decided on the ending yet.)

The working title right now for the novella is Black and Light 

Any feedback for the title would be great!

#2 Monsmord

Monsmord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

That sounds like a very moving story.  But I don't have enough info to rate the effectiveness of your proposed title, nor to suggest another.

For me, the most engaging and satisfying novel titles hint at, refer to, or are explained by something revealed in the second half of the book, and are unique to the world (for non-real-world stories), characters, or plot.  A promise or question of sorts.  Even better are those titles which somehow (usually through symbology) add a level of angst or depth of understanding once the relationship to the characters or plot is fully understood.  To Kill a Mockingbird, People Who Eat Darkness, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, etc. resonate deeply with me, for various reasons, and intrigue me enough to learn more.  Less interesting to me are the overt, such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, A Tale of Two Cities, and Seven Years in Tibet.  They serve, but they neither inform nor excite.

I sense your story will address the protagonist's conflict of love and desire with guilt, obligation, anger, and grief (the "black"?).  Depending on her choices and outlook, "light" may be the perfect counterpoint.  But in this case I'd feel the proposed title would be weak.  A story that promises so much depth and emotional turbulence should be served by a title as interesting.  Maybe something in the spirit of "Black and Light", but "deeper".

But if the "Black and Light" refer to some specific event, object, location, etc. in the story, and this "thing" is deeply symbolic or meaningful to the character and her choices, then I'd say you've nailed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users