Nox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:One novel on Amazon.com

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hi, name is Adam.  I'm currently a miserable failure.  Okay maybe not miserable.  I was referred here from an agent that although her page sounded like she might be into the concept of my novel, she was not. 

My book is really niche.  I don't know how many of you have taken a deconstructive view of the people who work as agents and what they are into, but there's like a few power categories that seem to suck all the air out of the room.  Romance, YA, Erotica. Be whatever you want as long as it's one of those.  Okay now I'm bitter ranting, let me get back on track here.

The name is agent query connect, so based on that I was like woohoo, a place where agents might hang out and browse for some truly good work rather than the weird query sifting process that must flood their inboxes.  So far though, it seems like maybe this is about 85% copy of absolutewrite?

I get that under the normal traditional system, perfecting queries was/is considered really important, but it seems like we need to take a step forward here.  I know if I were an agent, I wouldn't let writers come to me, I'd go find them.  It's so easy to go through some self-pub flounders on amazon and discover great writers with no marketing skills, or come to places like these and have your pick of whatever you want.   I just truly don't get why things are still so archaic in the info age.

So I guess my question is, is this place a step forward in connecting writers with agents, or just a query factory?   Not 'just', I know you guys take it very seriously.  I'm just too pessimistic anymore.

#2 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I can understand your frustrating. I've been in the query-slush pile and been rejected plenty of times. No, this site isn't for agents to mingle. It's an online community for writers of all genre, experience, and whatever to mingle and communicate. Sorry to disappoint - it does seem like there's a lot of that in the life of a writer XD. The name of the site comes from the sister site - Agent Query - which is a database of agents. 

However, I've found this site much more useful that I originally thought I would. It's a great place to ask questions or start discussion on anything related to writing, from characters, queries, fact checking, finding a critique partner, or formatting an ebook for Create Space. 

It would be convenient to have a database of open queries, though, and instead of the writer fishing for an agent, the agent would go searching for the writer/story. But, in defense of the agents, they are very busy people. They don't just sit around all day and read queries. They have other books they're working on, editing, and trying to sell or market. An agent can only take one so many projects; and any one agent could get upwards of a hundred queries in a week. The top agents get many more. They're literally bombarded with queries. Think of it like you're walking into the bookstore but you've only got enough money to buy 1 book. So, you search through the genre of your choice, and pick out the book that grabs you the most. You might like other stories, but there's one that you like more. It doesn't mean the other books are bad. Publishing is horribly subjective like that. 

I've been at the bottom of the pessimism jar before, where I just wanted to lay on the floor and wait for the ceiling fan to fall and kill me. It sucks. I'm sorry you're in the writer's rejection funk. On the bright side, it does get better. Maybe that agent wasn't just right for your novel. Maybe that agent had too much on his plate already, or maybe he's working on another novel that he feels it too similar to yours. Maybe there's a better agent just waiting for a book just like yours. It's hard to tell. 

Welcome to AQC regardless!

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

This is essentially a community of writers helping writers. Many are in the query quarries, smashing their ideas around to get them polished and ready to send to agents. Some are already represented, and there are others whose books are on store shelves. I know of a couple whose work has been sold for movie rights. Those who've succeeded invariably point to the site as a place where they honed their queries and learned more about being a professional writer. So welcome. If you're looking for a supportive, encouraging community of writers, you've come to the right place.

#4 SylvanStyle

SylvanStyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:In progress. I'll let you know after I find an agent. ;)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi, name is Adam.  I'm currently a miserable failure.  Okay maybe not miserable.  I was referred here from an agent that although her page sounded like she might be into the concept of my novel, she was not. 

My book is really niche.  I don't know how many of you have taken a deconstructive view of the people who work as agents and what they are into, but there's like a few power categories that seem to suck all the air out of the room.  Romance, YA, Erotica. Be whatever you want as long as it's one of those.  Okay now I'm bitter ranting, let me get back on track here.

The name is agent query connect, so based on that I was like woohoo, a place where agents might hang out and browse for some truly good work rather than the weird query sifting process that must flood their inboxes.  So far though, it seems like maybe this is about 85% copy of absolutewrite?

I get that under the normal traditional system, perfecting queries was/is considered really important, but it seems like we need to take a step forward here.  I know if I were an agent, I wouldn't let writers come to me, I'd go find them.  It's so easy to go through some self-pub flounders on amazon and discover great writers with no marketing skills, or come to places like these and have your pick of whatever you want.   I just truly don't get why things are still so archaic in the info age.

So I guess my question is, is this place a step forward in connecting writers with agents, or just a query factory?   Not 'just', I know you guys take it very seriously.  I'm just too pessimistic anymore.

We can all tell you are frustrated with trying to get an agent. I think most of us here are in the same boat rowing with you.... with no paddles. This is a place for constructive feedback on your works to help you improve your pitch, query, synopsis and even writing. There is a niche agent out there for every book, the trick is appealing to them. That's where this site comes in. You post your query or ask general advice and take what you will of what people offer to you. You are amongst friends here that all feel your frustration but the only way to find what you are looking for is to continue modifying what you are sending to them. I would be happy to take a look at what you have for a query letter if you'd like and offer suggestions.

Thanks!

Sylvia Davis

Website- WritersHell.net

Twitter- @sedavis2014

#5 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Four available novels from Harper Collins (see my signature) and an upcoming title from Pengun / Putnam (GIVEN TO THE SEA 4.11.17)

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

The others above me did a great job answering, and I understand your frustrations. 

I was querying - and failing - for 10 years. I wrote four novels before my 5th was finally picked up. I credit this place with teaching me how to understand the business, and write a good query. If I'd found it sooner, I would have been published sooner.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  

@MindyMcGinnis

#6 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

The others above me did a great job answering, and I understand your frustrations. 

I was querying - and failing - for 10 years. I wrote four novels before my 5th was finally picked up. I credit this place with teaching me how to understand the business, and write a good query. If I'd found it sooner, I would have been published sooner.

My hero.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#7 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Four available novels from Harper Collins (see my signature) and an upcoming title from Pengun / Putnam (GIVEN TO THE SEA 4.11.17)

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

My hero.

Mine!

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  

@MindyMcGinnis

#8 kaznats

kaznats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Line-Laymans-Guide-Medicine/dp/0875864562 it was published in 2006 by Algora Publishing

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

What I like about this place is that it is forcing me to hone my query to a standard. I then realized my novel should meet that same standard and if my novel or query is rejected it simply means my concept needs more work and polishing. This is a great place to bounce 'improvements' off other struggling writers. I also suggest http://writers.stackexchange.com/ for more specifi questions when you find yourself in the technical weeds of writing,

Good luck and keep the faith,

Richard

#9 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

This is THE place to be if you want to polish your query. And honestly, your query, aside from a polished manuscript, is the best thing to work on if you want an agent. Having agents peruse queries that aren't ready wouldn't make much sense, ya know? Trust me when I say you'd much rather do the dirty work and make embarrassing mistakes here than while querying.

We're also much smaller than AbsoluteWrite (love that place) and a bit easier to manage, and the writers here give outstanding feedback. It's also a very positive and supportive place to land. I think having that kind of community is essential.

Agents are SO BUSY. They do occasionally seek writers on Twitter and during online and in-person pitch events, etc. but they are inundated with query letters and their own clients' work. It's much easier if we come to them.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users