#1 SAVE

SAVE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

So, this is my second time writing a synopsis. I stuck to the rules and tried to keep everything about the story's plot. I'm hoping this helps a little, but I could use a little extra advice on naming characters.

RAEZ - True Main Character

LYZA - Main Character

DANE - Main Character

Vaudez is the main villain and mostly mentioned after chapter 7 or so. (Should he be in all caps?)
Emily "Captain of the king's guard" Mentioned throughout the novel and has a fairly big part with the main character. (Should she be in all caps?)

If anyone has some tips on this, I'd be MORE than grateful for them, and as always, I'll do my best to return critiques. Thanks :)

RAEZ is a man with good intentions that believes that if death were the punishment for causing war and violence the world would be peaceful. During the day he works as an emissary to the southern king, but during the night he assassinates those that disrupt the peace. The day before an ambush on the Eastern Capital by the West’s army, Raez, joined by a lionesque spirit, LYZA, assassinate the  General of the Western army, forcing them to turn away. He returns to his home in the south and meets DANE, a master-level spellcaster he believes could be a spy.

After returning to the capital to lie to his king about accomplishing his strictly peaceful mission, he disappears into the night to kill Dane. His attempt to ambush and question Dane is thwarted by a harpy spirit who nearly takes his life. Dane saves Raez’s life and is apprehended the next day by northern soldiers under false charges and taken to the north. Hours later Raez is apprehended with news that his king was murdered and he’s the prime suspect. The Captain of the King’s guard is given the late king’s will, which says Raez is to be king, so she speaks with him. After being brought before a council to prove his innocence, Raez escapes the south and races to the north, knowing that Dane is the

only one who knows of his innocence and can prove it.

In the north Dane is brought before King VAUDEZ, who questions him about his involvement with the three spirits of the world. After Dane refuses to acknowledge his vendetta against Lyza, who killed his fiancé long ago, or be bribed with a power Vaudez claims he’d use to rule the kingdoms, Vaudez nearly kills him. After being taken to his cell, he begins to use his unique magic to begin to control the minds of Vaudez’s soldiers.

Meanwhile, Raez fends off a pair of trackers sent to capture him and the Captain of the king’s guard speaks with the harpy spirit to prove Raez’s innocence. As she leaves for the North as Raez and Lyza are captured while Dane escapes from the last soldiers who aren’t mind controlled, meeting with a dragon spirit to prepare for an attack on the castle.

Vaudez tortures Lyza and Raez as revenge for his late fiancé but refuses to kill Lyza. While imprisoned, the southern king’s advisor appears before Raez revealing that he framed Raez in an attempt to force Raez to act so that he and Lyza could be captured by Vaudez. Moments later, the dragon spirit attacks, knocking the advisor unconscious before rescuing Raez as Dane rescues Lyza and the captain of the king’s guard who is captured shortly afterward.

Raez, Dane, the captain, and the spirits return to the castle for a raid. Raez and Lyza battle against Vaudez, who calls for his guards. Dane shows up alongside an entire army of mind-controlled northern soldiers. Lyza catches Vaudez’s throat in her jaws and executes him at Raez’s command.

After Vaudez’s death, Raez accepts his role as the new king and hosts a celebration of unity between the four kingdoms where a new king of the north is named.

[536 Words]

#2 hannahb712

hannahb712

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

From my understanding, you have to caps a character name, whenever they're mentioned for the first time. That's regardless of them being a major or minor character in your story. Hope this was helpful! I'm actually writing a synopsis myself, and could definitely use some help if you want to check it out!? http://agentqueryconnect.com/index.php?/topic/37151-synopsis-firsts-looking-for-some-help/ Here's the link. Thank you!  :smile:

#3 Phaust

Phaust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Played this game once before with a lit-fic piece. Got an agent, but he couldn't sell the book.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

First time critiquing a synopsis. 

RAEZ is a man with good intentions that believes that if death were the punishment for causing war and violence the world would be peaceful. During the day he works as an emissary to the southern king, but during the night he assassinates those that disrupt the peace. The day before an ambush on the Eastern Capital by the West’s army, Raez, joined by a lionesque spirit is there a way to tell who by what she is rather than how she is? , LYZA, assassinate the  General of the Western army, forcing them to turn away. He returns to his home in the south and meets DANE, a master-level spellcaster he believes could be a spy. How does this forward the plot?

After returning to the capital to lie to his king about accomplishing his strictly peaceful mission, he disappears into the night to kill Dane, a master-level spell caster he believes could be a spy. His attempt to ambush and question Dane is thwarted by a harpy spirit who nearly takes his life. Dane saves Raez’s life and is apprehended the next day by northern soldiers under false charges and taken to the north. Hours later Raez is apprehended with news that his king was murdered and he’s the prime suspect. The Captain of the King’s guard is given the late king’s will, which says Raez is to be king, so she speaks with him. After being brought before a council to prove his innocence, Raez escapes the south and races to the north, knowing that Dane is the only one who knows of his innocence and can prove it. Do this paragraph again. So much info. Anyway to smooth it out? Doesn't have to exactly track the way it is presented in the book... I don't think.

In the north Dane is brought before King VAUDEZ, who questions him about his involvement with the three spirits of the world. What? Why? Who are the 3 spirits? After Dane refuses to acknowledge his vendetta against Lyza feel like we should hear about this earlier, who killed his fiancé long ago, or be bribed with a power Vaudez claims he’d use to rule the kingdoms this sentence is quite confusing Vaudez nearly kills him. After being taken to his cell, he begins to use his unique magic to begin to control the minds of Vaudez’s soldiers.

Meanwhile, Raez fends off a pair of trackers sent to capture him and the Captain of the king’s guard speaks with the harpy spirit to prove Raez’s innocence. As she leaves for the North as Raez and Lyza are captured while Dane escapes from the last soldiers who aren’t mind controlled, meeting with a dragon spirit to prepare for an attack on the castle. What is a dragon spirit as opposed to a dragon?

Vaudez tortures Lyza and Raez as revenge for his late fiancé but refuses to kill Lyza. But didn't he save Raez earlier? While imprisoned, the southern king’s advisor appears before Raez revealing that he framed Raez in an attempt to force Raez to act so that he and Lyza could be captured by Vaudez. Moments later, the dragon spirit attacks, knocking the advisor unconscious before rescuing Raez as Dane rescues Lyza and the captain of the king’s guard who is captured shortly afterward. So confused by the changing alliances and their motivations. 

Raez, Dane, the captain, and the spirits return to the castle for a raid. Raez and Lyza battle against Vaudez, who calls for his guards. Dane shows up alongside an entire army of mind-controlled northern soldiers. Lyza catches Vaudez’s throat in her jaws and executes him at Raez’s command.

After Vaudez’s death, Raez accepts his role as the new king and hosts a celebration of unity between the four kingdoms where a new king of the north is named.

Lots going on in your story. Complex. You really need to make the synopsis more simple. 

I know its hard. In fact, you can tear mine apart here: http://agentquerycon...opsis/?p=337438

#4 Beth Kerring

Beth Kerring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:"The Boy Behind the Wall" (short story) published in Sick Lit Magazine in April 2017.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

I'm still fairly new to this myself, and I'm not very familiar with high fantasy, but here's my best go!

RAEZ is a man with good intentions that believes that if death were the punishment for causing war and violence the world would be peaceful. During the day he works as an emissary to the southern king, but during the night he assassinates those that disrupt the peace. The day before an ambush on the Eastern Capital by the West’s army, Raez, joined by a lionesque spirit, LYZA, assassinate the  General of the Western army, forcing them to turn away. He returns to his home in the south and meets DANE, a master-level spellcaster he believes could be a spy.

After returning to the capital to lie to his king about accomplishing his strictly peaceful mission, he disappears into the night to kill DANE, a master-level spellcaster he believes could be a spy (I agree with Phaust, this helps shorten the synopsis while still getting the information across). His attempt to ambush and question Dane is thwarted by a harpy spirit who nearly takes his life. Dane saves Raez’s life and is apprehended the next day by northern soldiers under false charges and taken to the north. Hours later, Raez is apprehended with news that his king was murdered and he’s the prime suspect. The Captain of the Kking’s guard is given the late king’s will, which says Raez is to be king, so she speaks with him. (Is this essential to the plot?) After being brought before a council to prove his innocence, Raez escapes the south and races to the north, knowing that Dane is the

only one who knows of his innocence and can prove it.

In the north, Dane is brought before King VAUDEZ, who questions him about his involvement with the three spirits of the world. (Is this relevant to the main plot?) After Dane refuses to acknowledge his vendetta against Lyza, who killed his fiancé long ago, or be bribed with a power Vaudez claims he’d use to rule the kingdoms, Vaudez nearly kills him. After being taken to his cell, he begins to use his unique magic to begin to control the minds of Vaudez’s soldiers.

Meanwhile, Raez fends off a pair of trackers sent to capture him and the Captain of the king’s guard speaks with the harpy spirit to prove Raez’s innocence. As she leaves for the North as Raez and Lyza are captured while Dane escapes from the last soldiers who aren’t mind controlled, meeting with a dragon spirit to prepare for an attack on the castle. (I would reword this - I feel a little confused as to what's going on.)

Vaudez tortures Lyza and Raez as revenge for his late fiancé but refuses to kill Lyza. While imprisoned, the southern king’s advisor appears before Raez revealing that he framed Raez in an attempt to force Raez to act so that he and Lyza could be captured by Vaudez. Moments later, the dragon spirit attacks, knocking the advisor unconscious before rescuing Raez as Dane rescues Lyza and the captain of the king’s guard who is captured shortly afterward. (Recommend rewording - there is a lot going on and I feel a bit confused.)

Again, I'm not a huge fantasy person, but this sounds really interesting! For a general comment, I'd recommend going through and removing anything that isn't absolutely essential to the flow of the main plot. It is a bit difficult to keep track of all the different characters and subplots, and while they seem like they would work well in the story itself, it's a bit confusing for the synopsis.

Great story, and best of luck! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users