Disclaimer

Photo

Agent asked for more material! What do I do?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

See post #5

As you read above an agent was interested and asked for more material. Do I say anything?? What do I do besides sending more material? I am really nervous and happy at the same time! I know it's not a guaranteed deal, but still, it might be! I don't want to mess this up, and I want to know what to say.

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Here's what you do:

1. Gather what's she's asked for. If partial, make a fresh document with only that. (Assuming she asked for attachment, which most of the time requested material is attached in word.)
  2. Make sure your formatting is consistent and that the file is saved with a sensible name/ (The title of your book, title + your name, etc. Something easily identifiable after she downloads it,  Anything but "my novel" or the agent's name.)
  3. Send as a reply to her email with a "thanks for your interest, I look forward to hearing your thoughts" or some such. Nothing more to say now.
  4. Go eat a piece of chocolate, or bacon, or drink a beer because the first "yes" deserves a small celebration.
  5. Send out 3 more queries to other agents.
  6. Go back to writing while you wait. 

#3 SylvanStyle

SylvanStyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:In progress. I'll let you know after I find an agent. ;)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

As you read above an agent was interested and asked for more material. Do I say anything?? What do I do besides sending more material? I am really nervous and happy at the same time! I know it's not a guaranteed deal, but still, it might be! I don't want to mess this up, and I want to know what to say.

I like what Thrash said. At this time, your adrenaline will be on edge and you will be tempted to gush to the agent about how excited you are and add a lot of unnecessary information. Keep it simple and keep it professional and congratulate yourself. Your work is not done until you have a contract.

Thanks!

Sylvia Davis

Website- WritersHell.net

Twitter- @sedavis2014

#4 newb

newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:40 AM

Do this about 3 times.

"4. Go eat a piece of chocolate, or bacon, or drink a beer because the first "yes" deserves a small celebration."

#5 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Ugh. A rejection. :/

Thanks for sending me part of ELIZA’S LIST.   While you did a fine job portraying the nastiness of teenage girls, I didn’t find myself caught up enough to ask to see more.
I do appreciate your thinking of me.
Best,
Kathy

Back to the query trenches. (sigh) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users