2 replies to this topic

#1 Sophia Beaumont

Sophia Beaumont

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Formerly published through Torquere Press, I self-published my books after they closed. Book one, The Spider's Web, is out now on Amazon with more to come. I'm still looking for an agent and a break into the "proper" publishing world.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

So back in 2016, I had three book published with a small press that is now closed (Torquere, not that it matters).

For a lot of reasons, I chose to self publish those books once the rights were returned, rather than querying and trying for a traditional publisher. All those books are either out now, or will be out by the end of the month.

How should I address this in my query? Right now it says something along the lines of, "My previous works include X, Y, and Z, published by Torquere." Should I say they are now self published? Should I just leave it and assume they know Torquere closed, since they were a fairly big name in indie/LGBTQ publishing? I feel like it reflects badly if I just say they are self published, to the point I'd be better leaving them off completely, but I also want them to know that while my publisher folded, I do still have books out in the world.

#2 Graeme_Smith

Graeme_Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:'A Comedy of Terrors', 'Road like a River' - MuseitUp Publishing.
    'Jack Shadow', 'Shadow Child' - Books We Love Publishing.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Lady Sophia

Hmmm. So I'm guessing you quite rightly want to send a 'message' that includes the fact that a well known and respected (in their time) publisher in the genre liked them enough to acquire them, but also that you didn't just take it on the chin when they folded. How about something like:

"My previous titles, X, Y, and Z, were initially published by Torquere (now defunct). Since Torquere's closure I have maintained their availability and they continue to (sell/ gain new reviews - as best fits). The success of those titles was, in part, the motivation for (insert new title here)."

If the titles really have continued to sell, that's icing on the cake. Even better if there have been 'fresh' compared to the date of Torquere's closing) positive reviews since - I'm told that's an excellent flag for a title (and the author's Voice) continuing to appeal to current audiences :-).

Thoughts? 

#3 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Four available novels from Harper Collins (see my signature) and an upcoming title from Pengun / Putnam (GIVEN TO THE SEA 4.11.17)

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi Sophia -

I think Graeme's answer is spot on and the phrasing is good. I'd definitely mention it, as it is a publishing credit, and not your fault that the house folded. 

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  

@MindyMcGinnis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users