#1 Zach67

Zach67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:31 AM

The book I am writing is called My Timeless Miracle. It's an adult magical realism book and is currently at 50,000 words. Is that too short of book? The book is currently has 2 parts and a small epilogue. However, I was thinking of turning the book into 3 parts, making it 75,000 words hopefully. Each part is independent of other; part 1 takes place in 1943/44; part 2 takes place in 1999; part 3 or epilogue is in 2016 .

My timeless miracle query: http://agentquerycon...ne/#entry337370

My timeless miracle synopsis: http://agentquerycon...meless +miracle

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

50K is a novella.  Not unheard of, but more difficult to sell according to some. but--part 1 & 2 aren't connected in any way?  

#3 Zach67

Zach67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:26 AM

They're connected (it's more in my synopsis how i explain it.)

Essentially

-Part 1: A Jewish father was suppose to die at Aushwitz but G-D, or what they think is G-D, reverses time for a year. A mysterious smuggler takes the Jewish family and Muslim Black family to Palestine to escape the holocaust written from the Jewish father's perspective. 

-Part 2: About the children of the families and what they are doing. End of part 2 its revealed that G-D and nature are the same thing and that the smugglers are the guardians of nature. They have to interact with daily life if their is a threat to nature by somehow changing someone's fate that would then start a domino chain to protect all of nature. 

-Part 3: 20 years after part 2: jewish son becomes a smuggler (or a guardian of nature) and helps rescue someone from North Korea..

t

so each part is connected, but each has its own plot/plots.

My timeless miracle query: http://agentquerycon...ne/#entry337370

My timeless miracle synopsis: http://agentquerycon...meless +miracle

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

They're connected (it's more in my synopsis how i explain it.)

Essentially

-Part 1: A Jewish father was suppose to die at Aushwitz but G-D, or what they think is G-D, reverses time for a year. A mysterious smuggler takes the Jewish family and Muslim Black family to Palestine to escape the holocaust written from the Jewish father's perspective. 

-Part 2: About the children of the families and what they are doing. End of part 2 its revealed that G-D and nature are the same thing and that the smugglers are the guardians of nature. They have to interact with daily life if their is a threat to nature by somehow changing someone's fate that would then start a domino chain to protect all of nature. 

-Part 3: 20 years after part 2: jewish son becomes a smuggler (or a guardian of nature) and helps rescue someone from North Korea..

t

so each part is connected, but each has its own plot/plots.

So sort of a family-saga meets magical realism. The salient point for this WORD COUNT focused thread, however, is that if these three parts will total 75k there is no reason NOT to make them into one novel. And if you are going to break them apart: a) each must stand entirely on its own (as in a reader could pick up book three if they hadn't read 1 or 2 and it would still make a complete arc for them--otherwise it will be a no-go with a publisher); and each section needs to at least top 70k in length, imo

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users