#1 SarahWriter27

SarahWriter27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

I received an offer of publication while I was querying agents. I notified all the agents of the offer and gave them three weeks to consider. (I know 3 weeks might seem too generous, but I was burned before with an offer of rep and want to give myself time. Plus, the offering publisher was fine with 3 weeks.) The deadline is this Friday.

I spoke with a published author who suggested I nudge the agents today (Monday) about Friday's deadline-- the agents who are currently reading my full. I never considered doing this before; is this common practice? Thoughts? Thank you!

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

This is very odd--did you hear back from the agents when you originally shared you news and offered three weeks? I would have expected a near immediate reaction to that and then certainly a timely response to the full. Its as if some piece of the puzzle is missing here, imo. The publisher is 100% reputable and above board right?

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 SarahWriter27

SarahWriter27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

I heard back from 1 of the 4 agents when I notified them of the offer of publication. They are all aware of Friday's deadline, but only 1 agent acknowledged the offer of publication email.

I didn't hear back from a lot of the agents I queried, either.

The publishing house is fairly new but yes, reputable.

#4 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

When you heard back from this one agent what kind of response did you get? An acknowledgement or did they ask for more info?

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#5 SarahWriter27

SarahWriter27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

The one agent who replied said she'd get back to me soon with her thoughts. On a whim, I told her I'd revised the beginning chapters, and then she asked me to send the revised chapters. She's been really responsive/communicative.

#6 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

If the house is fairly new and small it may not get agents jumping and you may not need an agent to handle your deal if you can read a contract, or get a lawyer with some experience in publishing to read it.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#7 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

If they are aware of the deadline, I would say touch base on Thursday with the one who replied and asked to see the revision. 

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users