#1 sward

sward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hey everyone came across this searching about self publishing. Been writing all my life but just finished a children's picture book where I hired a professional artist for the illustrations and now I am ready to publish. I sent it off to a couple of publishers and had planned to send to more but I honestly don't have time to constantly keep up with all the hassles of finding the right fit. ( I am a farmer by trade, along with many other hats I wear)

I am considering self publishing. Looked at a few some with good ratings some not so much, also looking at Amazon.  It all seems so confusing I don't mind putting some money upfront so someone else handles the process, but I am not rich by any means so want to make a wise choice.

Anyone have a good experience with self publishing?  I'm not under the illusion that I'll make millions although I do think my book has a good message and could do well, I would be happy to get it published and make my money back.

I would appreciate any advise you all are willing to dish out!  (posting links to other places in this forum that answers some of these questions would be helpful also.

Thanks

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hi Sward - Welcome to the site. You will see there are forums specifically for self-publishers so you might want to look through some of the old posts to see past conversation too, and also post this same question there. You might get more responses.

But, I can tell you my experience with self publishing, and that is I went with Amazon through ingramsparks for the expanded distribution, and I'm happy with that decision. I mainly just didn't see the point in spending years begging agents to read my book when I knew I could sell it, because I'm wasn't getting any younger. Self publishing works well if you will treat it like a business. You can PM me if you want to know more specifics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users