Recent Graduate of Guppy Pond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story - on Woman's Memoirs website

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

First I apologize to the powers that be - I didn't follow submission guidelines on how to post a synopsis. So if it gets deleted that may be a blessing. Ok I feel cleansed now.

I KNOW we have discussed this before but I can't find the post. Is a synopsis for a memoir in 3rd or 1st person and is it in present or past. I thought 3rd and present but
It’s never too late to shoot for the stars regardless of who you are- Nickelback

#2 Cync Me

Cync Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Soon to come.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Honey, you are not alone.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

My understanding is it should be 1st person past.

#4 kellyann

kellyann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

My understanding is it should be 1st person past.

good evening, well first I have to apologize AGAIN my computer has had a mind of it's own lately - soo I posed this question twice which is interesting cause the answers conflict. :huh: so I would hope that agents have the same conflicting answers and won't hold it against me if i chose the "wrong tense" or what they prefer. I am kinda putting the horse in front of the carriage as no one has asked for one. :laugh:
It’s never too late to shoot for the stars regardless of who you are- Nickelback

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

As you're aware, Kellyann, I don't claim to be an authority when it comes to memoir, so I could be wrong. But I've seen it stated on some blogs of memoir writers. Plus it just kinda makes sense to me. "I did this, I didn't do that. I wanted to tell the world, but the world's ears were filled with wax..." First person, simple past.

#6 kellyann

kellyann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

As you're aware, Kellyann, I don't claim to be an authority when it comes to memoir, so I could be wrong. But I've seen it stated on some blogs of memoir writers. Plus it just kinda makes sense to me. "I did this, I didn't do that. I wanted to tell the world, but the world's ears were filled with wax..." First person, simple past.

that makes more sense to me I was having a hard time referring to myself as Kelly so better get revising again but... query letters are always 3rd person correct.

Just when I think I've learned the rules the game changes. I like that Miss Snark referred to the memoir as the platypus of the publishing world :smile: :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users