12 replies to this topic

#1 SylvanStyle

SylvanStyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:In progress. I'll let you know after I find an agent. ;)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Hello everyone! I noticed that postings here are slim. The book that I just wrote and am desperately trying to get an agent for (I don't even have the energy or strength to talk about the next step of publishing) is a YA paranormal fantasy book. It has elements of horror, elements of history (Ghosts from the prohibition era) and a tiny bit of teenaged romance between two gifted individuals. I would like to get our genre some more representation here on this site!! Let's Talk! Anyone have a paranormal story that you want a few chapters reviewed? I'm your girl!

Attached Files

Thanks!

Sylvia Davis

Website- WritersHell.net

Twitter- @sedavis2014

#2 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

I think a lot of people see supernatural and paranormal as being passé in the era of everyone wanting billionaires with riding crops they don't know how to use right.  Supernatural is still my favorite genre, and I'm still writing it.  I've got chapters of a new book that need to be reviewed, but they won't make sense without reading the first few books.  If you're willing, we can exchange some stuff. :)

#3 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:25 published magazine articles
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

I like you

#4 SylvanStyle

SylvanStyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:In progress. I'll let you know after I find an agent. ;)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

I think a lot of people see supernatural and paranormal as being passé in the era of everyone wanting billionaires with riding crops they don't know how to use right.  Supernatural is still my favorite genre, and I'm still writing it.  I've got chapters of a new book that need to be reviewed, but they won't make sense without reading the first few books.  If you're willing, we can exchange some stuff. :)

I LOVE your 50 shades reference! I would love to review your work. Maybe you can just give my the cliff notes versions of the previous books so that it'll make sense?

Thanks!

Sylvia Davis

Website- WritersHell.net

Twitter- @sedavis2014

#5 DogHugger

DogHugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:FREYJA'S DAUGHTER (2018 from City Owl Press)

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

Your book concept sounds great. And I agree, this forum is quiet. I'm currently on submission with an urban fantasy manuscript and am working on a YA ghost story manuscript. I'm a fan of paranormal. :) 

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, this group was started a while ago and the person who moderated it kinda evaporated into the ether. I don't even remember who it was. But there's no reason dedicated readers and writers of it can't resurrect this forum. Feel free to ask questions, start threads, and boost activity in the forum overall.

#7 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

I am happy to hear all this and to be a part of it

#8 eehornburg

eehornburg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

I'd love to have this forum going strong! The current book I am querying is paranormal/urban fantasy and I love the genre!

#9 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

I love this genre too. I think its such a unique genre its why it gets overlooked- more room for us here

#10 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:51 AM

My current novel I'm querying is an epistolary mashup of horror, gothic romance, paranormal/supernatural/mystical (dark?) fantasy.

Agreed, by the way; this genre has huge potential to tap into.

JJW

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Cool. Keep posting on and starting threads. I agree with you that the genre has huge potential.

#12 scb3

scb3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

I'm surprised this forum isn't more popular! I wonder why?

I'm working on an urban fantasy/supernatural, mythic fiction sort of story, with Gods and ghosts and psychopomps and more. I'm pretty sure that'd fall under this category, right?

#13 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

Works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users