Disclaimer

Photo

Query letter help

Traditional Publishing Romance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WriterSteph816

WriterSteph816

Trying to get my book written then hopefully published :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

I have  (FINALLY!) made it to my final draft!  WOOHOO!!! Wait...the thought of writing a query letter TERRIFIES me   :unsure: Please, please help! I thought I'd be okay going by examples but I feel so out of my element I feel like crying - mostly because I'm afraid of doing it wrong.  I have zilch. No synopsis (can't figure those out either) NOTHING   :sad:

"You cannot be good all the time, you have to be good when it's time." Rene Angelil

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

If you haven't read the queryshark archives, they are an invaluable resource.  Beyond that most queries(fiction anyway), Hook(Mc inciting incident + obstacle delivered in a way that draws in the reader and isnt too long. You can go other ways, but that is the usual. Not everyone includes the obstacle in the hook for example.), What do they want, what stands in their way, what happens when they fail( This happens if may character does A or this happens if character does b).  Also, you'll not want to give or a synopsis, worldbuilding(unless it's delivered the right way), or too much backstory).  Also, vagueness really kills queries.  If you're not sure you're being mysterious instead of vague I would recommend avoiding it. You can be short and succinct without being vague, because I've read queries that have done it. I would also avoid going beyond say act 1, but that may be a style choice. Questions and sentences beyond say 20 or so words don't really work well for queries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Traditional Publishing, Romance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users