1 reply to this topic

#1 Lord_Champion

Lord_Champion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a contracted author with Owl Hollow Press with my debut novel, Golden Skies, scheduled to be released in the summer of 2018.

Other published work includes my two nonfiction pieces "Letter from an Omniscient" and "International Half-Breed" which are out in various literary magazines.

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

UPDATE: I just mailed the signed contract back today. My first book should be coming out in the summer of 2018. The publisher is Owl Hollow Press.

I used this query for various small presses and got two full requests. One asked for a R&R, so I got to work and sent my manuscript back a month and a half later. I just got the news today that they liked the changes and want to talk on the phone :D

Dear ...

Malik’s father, Mujadin, rules a small city on the planet of Certamen through religious extremism. Malik grows up right in the center of it, witnessing every injustice, and longing for the day to put his murderous father down. But Malik’s rage is nothing in the face of his father’s new theocracy. Hordes of black-garbed extremists stand ready to kill any dissenters.

Malik’s last strand of compliance breaks after being summoned to a public execution by his father and commanded to behead fornicators at his feet. Malik loses control and attempts to kill Mujadin—all while screaming that there is no God front of thousands—and fails. After being whipped and humiliated, Malik is sent to a religious conversion camp. Yet, at the brink of madness, an unexpected ally reveals herself. A sky trooper from a Northeastern country, keen on helping topple Mujadin’s rule, extends a hand of friendship.

Standing amidst foreign allies and old friends, Malik now faces a choice. He can flee the South and live in peace with his sister and best-friend while the people in his hometown suffer…or stand against the injustice and risk a war that’ll kill thousands.

According to your website, you are actively seeking science fiction submissions. GOLDEN SKIES is an 81,000-word Adult light Sci-Fi novel, which was inspired by the rise of ISIS in the Middle East. It is the first installment of a trilogy.

I am a University student studying Criminal Justice at Alabama A&M University. I have short nonfiction pieces and a short story published in various magazines: Easy Street, Scarlet Leaf Review, 13th floor, The Missing Slate, GFT Press, and Down in the Dirt.

Thank you so much for your time. I have included my sample chapters for your review. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Juan Zapata

#2 tylermarable

tylermarable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Congratulations. Your story sounds interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users