• LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Mark of Fate, Bad Caveman Publishing, 2011

Self published works:
    Burden of Fate, 2012
    Legacy of Fate, 2016
    When the Dead Rise: Series 1, 2016

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hi all, 

I'm hoping some experienced mystery writers could give me a few pointers for a new project I've begun work on. It is a story that is squarely in the sci-fi genre - generation-type space ship headed off to colonize a new world. What I'm hoping to pull off is I'd like to include a small murder mystery into the larger plot. 

I do read and enjoy mystery novels - although I'm quite selective as to which ones pique my interest. I have done research on how to properly craft and outline a good mystery - one that will leave just enough breadcrumbs so that when revealed, the murderer is a surprise but the reader doesn't feel like it's outside their scope of understanding.

Being that my mystery is within a larger, non-mystery story, I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to plot it so it doesn't feel tacked on. 

I have my murderer and victim. I have the important murder info also plotted (motive, opportunity, and the actual event). I have 3 suspects, all with reason to be suspected and lie about their true alibi and their red herring clues, but it feels like I'm missing an element or a step for it to be complete.

I'm hesitant to move much further into the story until I've figured out what's missing, so I don't have to go back and revise because of a glaring oversight.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!   

CM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users