Recent Graduate of Guppy Pond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story - on Woman's Memoirs website

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm having a synposis meltdown!!! I have read a million of samples and one page 250 -500 words.. are you kidding me. anyways I read an interview with an agent and she said think of movies. umm write like a synosis of a movie. So I am trying to think of what movies are like my book...it's kinda "Love and other Drugs"w/ Anne Hattaway and "28 days" w/ Sandra Bullock...

Anyone ever tried this approach and what movies mirror your book? or just have fun with it

Mine is "One Flew over the Cockcoo's nest" and "The Shining" right now :tongue:
It’s never too late to shoot for the stars regardless of who you are- Nickelback

#2 bkeats

bkeats

How like them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

I'm having a synposis meltdown!!! I have read a million of samples and one page 250 -500 words.. are you kidding me. anyways I read an interview with an agent and she said think of movies. umm write like a synosis of a movie. So I am trying to think of what movies are like my book...it's kinda "Love and other Drugs"w/ Anne Hattaway and "28 days" w/ Sandra Bullock...

Anyone ever tried this approach and what movies mirror your book? or just have fun with it

Mine is "One Flew over the Cockcoo's nest" and "The Shining" right now :tongue:

Be careful. Thinking in terms of a movie is fine- indeed, many writers think of how their book would look as a movie even as they're writing their manuscripts (I don't), but just remember never to reference any specific movies in either your synopsis or your query. That's a sure ticket to the trash heap.

#3 kellyann

kellyann

Recent Graduate of Guppy Pond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story - on Woman's Memoirs website

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Be careful. Thinking in terms of a movie is fine- indeed, many writers think of how their book would look as a movie even as they're writing their manuscripts (I don't), but just remember never to reference any specific movies in either your synopsis or your query. That's a sure ticket to the trash heap.

Yes I agree about actually mentioning a movie title, as with other authors and/or their books! and I'm so paranoid about copyright laws - I would just thinking off a easy way too cut my synposis down put it in "trailor" format - make sense?
It’s never too late to shoot for the stars regardless of who you are- Nickelback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users