Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hello everyone!

My novel has mainly two POV. One is a 15 y.o. boy and the other is a 65 y.o. man. The query is only about the boy, however, since he is in a way the MC.

I was thinking of going for Adult. To bring up an example, imagine if Game of Thrones was written from the perspective of John, Arya, Bran, and Eddard. Sure most of the cast is between 12-16, but (poor) Eddard is in his 40s.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

My Query http://agentquerycon...a-high-fantasy/ Let me know if you want me to look at yours. Will happily do so.

#2 CM_Fick

CM_Fick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Mark of Fate, Bad Caveman Publishing, 2011

Self published works:
    Burden of Fate, 2012
    Legacy of Fate, 2016
    When the Dead Rise: Series 1, 2016

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Who does your main plot revolve around?

If I were in this position, I would write up a quick list, noting who the main focus is on the major plot points and whose story you are telling. Does the conflict revolve around the 65 year old and the 15 year old is along for this adventure? or is it vice versa? 

For me, I have 2 main characters as well. I had to decide who's story made for the most appealing query, since there isn't much crossover in the actual plot. I eventually decided on Ember because she was the focus in this book more than the other character. To figure this out, I crafted 2 queries - one for each. And while they were by no means close to what I finished with, it did help me see the differences and where the stronger story was. 

Hope this helps. 

#3 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

I would like to say that the story is about both (though I can't). The boy is trying to mature and overcome the obstacles before him, the man is trying to mend his old wounds etc...

However, the conflict comes from the boy and his past, and as you said, he is definitely the main focus of the novel.

This would put my novel into the YA genre, right? My only doubt is if the old man's POV has any impact on the genre or not.

Thank you again for your input!

My Query http://agentquerycon...a-high-fantasy/ Let me know if you want me to look at yours. Will happily do so.

#4 CM_Fick

CM_Fick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Mark of Fate, Bad Caveman Publishing, 2011

Self published works:
    Burden of Fate, 2012
    Legacy of Fate, 2016
    When the Dead Rise: Series 1, 2016

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

someone else may have a different opinion, but I would say -- based on what you say about the plot -- yes, I would classify it as YA. 

I don't have enough experience to speak to the old man's POV having an impact on the genre. Sorry.  

#5 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

If the 15 y/o is the main focus I would say yes, it's YA. If the 65 y/o comes into play as a major character, that's fine, as long as the focus is on the teen.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#6 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thank you both for the answers! Yes, the old man is a major character and that's why I'm having second thoughts about the genre part.

I guess I'll go for YA. If I had more adults characters as key players, then I could pick the A genre.

Thank you!

#7 taylor lexi

taylor lexi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

If the 15 y/o is the main focus I would say yes, it's YA. If the 65 y/o comes into play as a major character, that's fine, as long as the focus is on the teen.

I agree. You've actually got a valid point right here!

#8 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

I've done some more digging these past few days, and I have to say that...I'm lost.  :wacko:

Most of the people out there claim that YA has to be written in a simple voice that a teen can connect, and usually (but not always ofc) its from first person perspective. - Mine is third person limited.

Meanwhile, a book that has both teen and adult protagonists, and the voice is definitely more...adult than in a YA book, falls instantly in the A category.

I guess I worry too much.

Thank you all once more.

#9 AnneMarie2521

AnneMarie2521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

There is so much scope with YA now, from what you've described though, I think your ok going for that. Remember that it can be content and language based too, not just the characters voice. So if your older character dealt with issues that would go above the head of a teen i.e relationships/sex etc, it would put it into the adult genre. But if your scenes and events are written specifically with YA genre in mind and don't stray outside of descriptions for this age group, I'd say your good. Its hard to know with these things when your over thinking and when there is an issue! Good luck:)

#10 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Thank you!

As you said the more I ponder over this, the more lost I feel.

There is no sex in the novel and cursing is limited, though I plan to delve deeper into the minds of my older characters in the next novel. The voice of my characters and the writing sure feel like they are targeted for a more mature audience. - At least thats what I've been told. I admit I love the writing of Tolkien and R.R. Martin, so in a way my novel reflects that.

Decisions....decisions....  :happy:

#11 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:49 AM

Does the book have adult language? Or bloody violence?

I refrain from gratuitous sex 'n such in my own writing, but for whatever reason I'm ok with an F-bomb and a hemorrhaging carotid every now and again.

Sorry, been rereading The Last Werewolf again.

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users