#1 Lady0801

Lady0801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

I've been dying to post on this thread for years!  I started with a rough version of my query here on AQconnect.  I tweaked it a little using comments, then I took it over to AW for some fresh eyes.  After I made some more tweaks, I focused on it solely with my beta readers.  Ultimately, this is the final product!

I sent out 13 queries, got 5 requests within 3 days, and then I got my first offer of rep 2 weeks later!

Dear [AGENT NAME],

[PERSONALIZED INFO ABOUT WHY THEY MIGHT BE INTERESTED...I used #MSWL a lot], I thought you might be interested in seeing my fantasy novel, DANCING WITH VIPERS.

Night after night, sixteen-year-old Cambria Rousseau risks arrest to arabesque and pirouette to the seductive ballads and hazy lights of an underground stage. In Elder, the law forbids commoners from practicing the arts, but someone’s got to pay the bills her mother left behind. 

But when she catches the eye of a young aristocrat with a loose definition of legality, Cambria accepts the position as his sponsored dancer in a cutthroat dance competition. To win the unfathomable amount of prize money, she must out-perform the realm’s top teenage dancers— all while concealing her criminal background. Cambria combines glamorous magic and graceful technique to steal both the hearts and the votes of the public, and her chance to win skyrockets.

Then she hears the rumors. Unrest ripples among the lower classes, who finally demand equal access to the arts. Cambria questions whether paying off her debts is worth returning to a world where dance is forbidden. If she takes advantage of her newfound fame to reveal her identity, Cambria can finally prove that wealth doesn’t equal talent. But she gambles walking away empty handed— or worse. The powerful elites who own the arts don’t tolerate trespassers, and they’re willing to eliminate any threat to their control.

DANCING WITH VIPERS is a 72,000 word young adult fantasy novel with the magic of RED QUEEN and the competition of THE SELECTION. I’m an English teacher, so I’ve spent countless hours talking about books with my target audience. 

As per the current submission guidelines, I have pasted the first ten pages below. I would be delighted to send the full manuscript at your request. Thank you for your time and consideration.

#2 PheoAbbey

PheoAbbey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

I absolutely love this! I think you have a rockstar on your hands! Post when the book comes out so I can get my hands on a copy :)

Also, would be amazing if the romance was nice and steamy, this looks fast-paced and intense :))

#3 bkarperien

bkarperien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

Love that there's dancing involved! I want to read this! :) Congratulations!

Check out my query :)

Or, if you're really awesome, check out my synopsis.

#4 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

Gosh! A fantasy dance competition?! This is so fresh. I love it already.  :wub:

Congrats and good luck!

#5 AnneMarie2521

AnneMarie2521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Wow congrats!!! Thank you so much for sharing this! Wishing you all the success!!

#6 Lady0801

Lady0801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Thanks, everyone! :)

#7 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

omg, I remember seeing this query not long ago.

Wow, well done!

Can you tell us what agency you signed with?

#8 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

That is one hell of a query, congratulations!

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users