Disclaimer

Photo

Should I copyright my work before sending it to agents?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ddcash80

ddcash80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Just wondering. Do most people copyright? Or get some kind of protection, before sending things out. What's the norm?

Also, what about before sending it out to beta readers? or critique partners? is there really any danger?

#2 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

No, you already have a copyright once you have created it-- you don't  need to do anything. Agents are not going to steal your work.

I have not heard of any instances of beta readers stealing work, although maybe someone else has. You could decrease the probability of this happening, I think, by doing an exchange, or at least screening a little to see if the person seems sane.

#3 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

VerKur is right. Copyrighting ahead of time is unnecessary. Writers tend to be passionate about their own work - not someone else's, and certainly not enough to steal it. Also, any ms will go through significant changes before publication, and the copyright will have to be redone, which can result in issues if it's *already* copyrighted.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users