Disclaimer

Photo

Submitting to agents after self publishing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AngelS85

AngelS85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I now have 2 self published books on Amazon. The Kinetic Keeper and The Kinetic Kin.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

So I'm about to release by 3rd self published book which is part of a series. But I wondered if there are agents who will take query's when you have already self published? Especially when you're almost done with your series and it's already out there. Any one know? Thanks!

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

I've been told and read that getting a book traditionally published after self-publishing is considerably more difficult.  However, not impossible.  On the other hand, if you just mean querying a new book with self-publishing credits, I don't think that's held against you. It probably won't count towards anything unless those books were successful. It seems like getting the final book in a trilogy traditionally published when the other two were self-published might seem even more difficult.

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

It really depends on sales, from what I've read on agent's blogs and interviews. And most agents I follow have said self-published books are already published, so there's no role for them in that process, but a new project from a self-published author is a different matter. 

#4 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

Agreed with everything said above. A self-pubbed work is going to be harder to sell an agent on. You have to have very good sales in that avenue to get their attention, but not so good that you've already reached the majority of your potential readership. In other words, you're much better off to start with a new project.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users