Disclaimer

Photo

Would these be weird comps for my novel?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nerdypajamas

nerdypajamas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

So my novel is about a ruthless female warrior who loses her memories and her ability to fight and needs everyone to think she's still that same warrior. She also starts to learn she used to be a pretty terrible person. So far, I've been describing it as 13 Going On 30 meets Tamora Pierce, because it combines magic, sword fighting, and a situation where the protagonist has to convince everyone she's someone she's not (like in the Alanna series). I know it's kind of a weird combination, so I was wondering what other people think. Would I be better off leaving out the comps?

#2 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:57 PM

I honestly am not familiar with 13 going on 30 so I can't say on that one... the Tamora Pierce sounds spot on though.

This movie might actually be a good comp, but given that it came out in 1991 and I couldn't remember the name and had to go to IMDB to find it probably means it wouldn't be a good one to use for high-concept purposes. (good movie though)

http://www.imdb.com/...=nm_flmg_act_74

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

Wow, I never realized how much a younger Bob Hoskins reminded me of Kal Penn.

#4 DogHugger

DogHugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:FREYJA'S DAUGHTER (2018 from City Owl Press)

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

When/if you're listing the other book titles yours would compete with or compare to, you want to use more recently released books. (Some writers add this list to their queries.) But when you're explaining the story by saying such and such meets this and that, what you've got is perfectly fine.It's just a quick way to explain your story. I once pitched an idea to my agent saying, "It's West Side Story meets Sons of Anarchy." Obviously, these won't be the comp titles listed in my proposal when this manuscript goes on submission, but because they quickly set the tone of the story they make a great pitch opening. :smile:     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users