#1 ddcash80

ddcash80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

I prefer not to go the critique partner route since I don't think I could respond in a timely fashion.

If I want a beta reader asap, is it best to just pay for one? what is the typical(fair) rate?

Also, how could I go about finding a free beta reader?

#2 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Venture far from the Beaten Path

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

I don't think there is "a good way" since that all depends on the people.  Here, like in so many places, people offer to help, but having them carry through is very hit and miss.  I found one person from AQ:C who actually did read my story and gave feedback.  Several got parts of my book but I only got snarky comments from one, the rest never even gave a peep.

There is a group (Wanted Ads -- same section as On Writing) devoted to finding and offering beta readings.  If you haven't tried there, that is probably your best bet.  Remember that you need to offer in order to receive so be prepared to do a beta reading for each one you get.  I don't know of any "professional" beta readers and I would be leery of them anyway.

Good luck!

Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Honestly what you want and what you NEED may not be the same thing. IMO you MUST have a critique partner--someone also in the industry who writes as well or better than you do and who can suggest editorial changes without trying to turn your work into theirs. 

I blogged about this and even though the blog is 2 years old I stand by that advice today for sure:
http://www.fromthewr...eople-make.html

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Also, practice reading critically---even if you are slow to return at first--is a valuable skill to have in the industry.  Look for a CP and be honest about your timeline.  If that really doesn't appeal, contact the English dept at your local university, write up an offer to pay $$ for a close critical read, and ask them ti forward it to grad students, TAs and adjuncts.

#5 taylor lexi

taylor lexi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

In my opinion, the best way is to belong to writer discussion forum and ask there. Some of the writer discussion forums even have a specific sub-forum devoted to that with people volunteering to do it and people looking to find someone. I did a lot of it, but I've grown weary of it. It's an enormous amount of work if you're any good at it, and the work is not always well appreciated.

#6 jamills08

jamills08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

The best way to find a beta reader is to be a beta reader. They are hard to come by!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users