#1 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

I've been working on a long, very odd fantasy novel. It takes place over a year, and involves fate, family, Wyrms, and a bunch of really weird situations and story elements. I'm having trouble with the name. Here are a few, and if I could get some feedback on which one is best or what reaction you all have to the titles, that would be fantastic.

1. "Fateborne"

2. "Bookwyrm"

3. "The Fate-Maker's Almanac"

4. "The Fateborne's Almanac"

5. "Disbelief Suspended"

6. "Audacity's Refuge"

7. "A Year Not to Forget"

I know it's a lot of titles, but trust me when I say that the book has enough breadth to its story that it's hard to sum everything up without being vague or cliché. I think the query or synopsis will be easier to handle than the name.

Preferences? Reactions?

Thanks so much.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Of the 7, my favorite is The Fate-Maker's Almanac. Bookwyrm sounds clever enough to make me pull it off the shelf and read the back-cover description. For me, the others don't catch my attention.

#3 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thanks! Your favorite title probably fits the story best, as well. My only worry was that it uses very unorthodox words for a title, but perhaps that's why it works.

#4 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

That one piqued my interest as well.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com