#1 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

I've been working on a long, very odd fantasy novel. It takes place over a year, and involves fate, family, Wyrms, and a bunch of really weird situations and story elements. I'm having trouble with the name. Here are a few, and if I could get some feedback on which one is best or what reaction you all have to the titles, that would be fantastic.

1. "Fateborne"

2. "Bookwyrm"

3. "The Fate-Maker's Almanac"

4. "The Fateborne's Almanac"

5. "Disbelief Suspended"

6. "Audacity's Refuge"

7. "A Year Not to Forget"

I know it's a lot of titles, but trust me when I say that the book has enough breadth to its story that it's hard to sum everything up without being vague or cliché. I think the query or synopsis will be easier to handle than the name.

Preferences? Reactions?

Thanks so much.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Of the 7, my favorite is The Fate-Maker's Almanac. Bookwyrm sounds clever enough to make me pull it off the shelf and read the back-cover description. For me, the others don't catch my attention.

#3 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thanks! Your favorite title probably fits the story best, as well. My only worry was that it uses very unorthodox words for a title, but perhaps that's why it works.

#4 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

That one piqued my interest as well.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, March 20, 2018) ♔ 

image.jpg

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#5 RobotKitten

RobotKitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None yet

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

I love "The Fate-Maker's Almanac." It's intriguing and catchy. 

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Looking at this because RobotKitten had brought it back to life, so when I saw her line I said, "Fate-Maker's Almanac? That's interesting." I'd forgotten that I had even commented on this thread.

In my opinion, that's the way to go. And I think unorthodox in a quirky manuscript can work very well.

I think you have a winner of a title.

#7 kailam

kailam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

I like Fateborne, Bookwyrm and The Fate-Maker's Almanac. The Fate-Maker's Almanac fits the quirky vibe well and I would definitely take a look at the blurb if I saw it on a shelf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users