#1 newb

newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

I've noticed a lot of query's come through AQ with NA on it.

Is NA a safe thing to show on a query (that's not romance?) and would the agents balk at this? Or would it be better to play it safe and just market your work as YA or Adult (whichever it leans towards)?

#2 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

Everything I'm seeing says that NA is pretty much dead. YA has enough crossover potential on it's own that the market for NA just isn't there. 

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#3 newb

newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've read quite a few YA that really could be marketed as NA, but are definitely under the YA category. 

#4 AnneMarie2521

AnneMarie2521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:00 AM

I agree with the above and NA although it is a thing... its not something I've seen on any agents website requests. So plainly, due to that, I'd avoid it and go with YA. Much safer route;)

#5 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

I have been listening to two agent podcasts, and both have said that NA is only a thing in romance, although people are trying to make it happen otherwise. they provided an explanation that I thought was useful-- that publishers have a children's division (which includes YA), and an adult vision (and some do only one or the other). So the publisher needs to know where to place it, and this creates a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users