Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

So 7 weeks ago I sent a R & R back to an agent who I'm very excited about. She had been very to respond in the past, and her feedback was thoughtful and on point, and she was easy to talk to on the phone about my book (and she was courteous enough to do a phone follow up conference to answer my questions about her feedback). She'd gotten back to me on my original full in less than a month, so I figured I'd wait at least that long before starting to query again with the new manuscript. I realize now that I should have mentioned that when I sent the R&R back--- something like "In consideration of your time and thoughtful feedback, I consider this submission exclusive for 6 weeks, yadayada..." But I didn't do that.

7 weeks is probably too soon to nudge on a full---but should I send a note (or rather, could I without being rude or awkward...) to say I'm starting to send queries again? Should I wait longer to query?  Start querying and say nothing? What would you do?

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

If she did not request an exclusive, I don't think you are under any obligation to do anything. If your new query round nets you an offer from another agent, then you must tell her, of course. But it seems to me that if she had wanted your submission to be exclusive to her, she would have said so.

Also, since new agents seeing your query, requesting partials and fulls, etc. will (no doubt) take their time in responding (as they often do!) you will probably hear back from her before you would hear about a full from someone else. (Just my guess, based on experience).

#3 DogHugger

DogHugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:FREYJA'S DAUGHTER (2018 from City Owl Press)

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

I agree with LucidDreamer. When I was querying very few agents wanted exclusivity, but the ones who did let me know up front. 

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

If she didn't ask for an exclusive DO NOT STOP QUERYING. And I would never give anyone a 6 week exclusive. I gave my beloved agent 2 weeks and then 1 more when he called and asked. And I basically did that because I knew he was my number one choice.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

You don't owe anything to this agent.  Never offer an exclusive (there's some chance that your submission with its note about exclusivity sits in an agents inbox unopened until they can get to it-- weeks later!). Also try to avoid it if they ask for an exclusive.  Never stop querying, and you have no obligation to tell her you're querying. While it would be really great for her to sign your R&R, work under the assumption that she isn't going to.

#6 RosieSkye

RosieSkye

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

Agreeing with everyone else here - if she didn't request an exclusive, you're free to keep querying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users