4 replies to this topic

#1 WriteWesWrite

WriteWesWrite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published on Amazon.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

I've finished my manuscript and the story is all good to go, but I've been switching between titles.

It's set in Tampa, Florida in the death metal community (Tampa if the birthplace of death metal). The MC is a 17 year old bass player who wants more than to cover Morbid Angel until the end of days (also common in Tampa). It's a Young Adult Contemporary coming of age story. Each title has a meaning in metal.

Option one:

Thrash 'til Death (current)

Option Two

Born to Thrash

Option Three

Rhythm & Bruise

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

Ahahaha, I really like Rhythm & Bruise, though the metal connection is a little less clear.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

I like the idea of the novel a lot. It strikes me as different. Rhythm and Bruise is a fun title, but I agree with KitCampbell that it doesn't really say "death metal." 

Thrash Till Death sounds more like either a death metal romance or murder mystery.

Born to Thrash...  Not really thrilling me.

But titles often get changed in the selling of a manuscript. Perhaps go with your #1 option and keep your mind open to other possibilities should an agent like the idea and your writing. Like I said, the idea itself is interesting. I have no idea whether there's a market for it, but there's a market for death metal so why wouldn't there be one of readers who like death metal?

#4 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

None of the titles scream metal to me.

YA Death Metal Group ...

Born to Die?

Spawn of Darkness?

That's all I got.

I was thinking about groups like My Darkest Day, Someday In September, Saliva, Deathklock, etc.

#5 dinosaurinhats

dinosaurinhats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I also really like the Rhyme and Bruise title--really catchy and captured my interest most 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users