3 replies to this topic

#1 seemyad

seemyad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self published "Its Not The Cans: The Best Nutrient Balance For A Stronger And Healthier You"

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

New doesn't come close to describing me regarding the world of publishing. I would consider my status as pre-pre-new.

That said, when will a "Literary Agent Gateway Service" © provide a bi-directional network where writers post a query letter and/or partial manuscript for agents to peruse versus the current, unidirectional method of writers wading through an ocean of potential agents?

The service would provide a database for registered agents to log in, search/browse, and review query letters and/or partial manuscripts of writers who are seeking representation. Every agent who reviews the content will be captured in a log and would have to check a NDA box before given access to the content. Some form of pre-screening could be involved to ensure available content meets some basic criteria before being added to the database. Additionally, the content could be time-stamped for automatic removal after a 30 - 90 day period.

This could be a free or fee based service.

As one who believes in putting technology to work whenever it may create a useful platform, I may be stating some form of literary blasphemy with this suggestion. If so, please accept my most humble apology.

- If you write it, they will come - (hopefully)

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

If I understand you, you're proposing a matching service like is done for jobs in websites like Indeed, etc., but from what I've read those websites aren't actually highly effective and most companies prefer to work with recruiters. Secondly different agents prefer to see different materials, so the "vetting process" would be highly disputed. 

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Also, I predict the outcome of such a service would go one of two ways:

Free version: The burden of sorting through spam shifts from agents to authors as schmagents, vanity publishers, and other vultures on fringes of the industry inundate authors en masse in hopes for content for nothing or, worse, finding authors willing to pay upfront for representation. Thanks but no thanks.

Paid version: Why would agents pay for a service when authors will send them queries directly?  Why would authors pay for a service when they could research agents and query directly? 

#4 RossWrites

RossWrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Who would determine who a legitimate agent is? What would make them "registered?" I heard an agent in a seminar once say that if you can read and put up a website you can be a literary agent. Her point; that not all agents are created equal and there is no licensing process or anything like that. I like your idea for making use of more technology, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users