Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any reviewing or critiquing site?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dahlia Baker

Dahlia Baker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationAfrica
  • Publishing Experience:Non

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

Hi every one,
I've been working on a novel for about three months now, and today, I just had an insane urge to delete everything and just give up writing altogether.
i feel this way a lot, invariably, I might not delete the stories but I'll stop writing... for maybe a year. Then one day I'll remember I love to write and then start all over again.
Is there any site I could probably send bits of this novels? So that I could have people that would look at it with a fresh eyes, edit and probably head me to a better side?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

You might want to try the "wanted" section of this site. There's always critiquing that goes on, but it's also a give and take, meaning you're offering the same thing in return. 

Also, for what it's worth, most of us -- perhaps all writers -- struggle with that self-doubt impulse. Just remember: writers write. Believe that what you're doing, what you're writing, has value. You have to love it and foster its development and shape its world and enable the characters and settings to thrive. Keep plugging away at it.

#3 jamills08

jamills08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

Having people critique your writing might make it worse...might make it better if all they have to say is praise. Critique circle is a website that you can enter up to 4,000 words a week in exchange for critiquing other people writing. Absolute write forum is good for feedback and questions. The wanted ads here are supposed to let you post ads looking for feedback. Goodluck!

#4 albarchs

albarchs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Absolute Write Water Cooler forum is a great resource for beginning writers. I don't use it anymore but it helped me when I first started writing.

Online critique groups can help as well. It depends on the state of your novel. Also, bear in mind critiques are just that. You want to listen for what will help your novel. If you have five people confused or commenting on a particular problem, you might want to revise that part. It's also important to recognize criticism vs preferences. Some critiques might come across as criticism but they might just be the person's reading preferences.

It's important to distinguish what you can use, what you can discard, and still stay true to the novel you wrote.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users