Disclaimer

Photo

Good idea to mention a short story pub in a query?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:A few short stories.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Anyone have an opinion on this: is it a good idea to mention a short story publication in a novel query letter?  I've been assuming it can't hurt but then started having some second thoughts on that.

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

It completely depends where and how it was published. At least that is my gut reaction.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Hmmm, that is a good point.  The publications are through e-magazines.  I suppose it would be like trying to get a seat at trendy Manhattan restaurant by flashing my Discover card at the maitre d'

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

That Discover line is funny. :-)

I'd say that if the short story is in the same genre of the novel, then it's an obvious yes. If it's unrelated, I still might include it.

I've never known an agent to be totally dismissive of a manuscript he or she liked if the author had never been published or published only once in a free e-zine. The agent is looking to find writers who are talented, committed, and professional whose work has already impressed them.

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

I will respectfully disagree with mwsinclair--you are dead right with your discover card analogy. Or if would be like listing something (earnestly) from your school newspaper. Unless the e-magazine (or real magazine, or literary journal) is first-tier and its name is instantly recognizable I wouldn't list it. It won't sway an agent (but a good query and a kick ass manuscript will) and it is like stamping "newbie" in the middle of your forehead, imo.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thank you both for the feedback on this, I think your points are valid.  I think the key takeaway that you both seem to agree on is that if the current query and manuscript are golden I should be good.  On to the query madness!

#7 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

actually I think the fact that it is online is irrelevant, and the fact that it is a free magazine, or that it didn't pay is extremely irrelevant  At least in literary fiction there are free online journals which have won pushcart prizes. if you have a sense that it was competitive to get into the magazine, I would include it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users