• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:0

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

Dear Ms./Mr Potential Literary Agent

According to your agency’s profile on the Association of Author’s Representatives website, you may be actively seeking memoirs, so I’m pleased to introduce my book, Love, Air and Water: Discovery and Treatment of a Schizoaffective Disorder. This book has helped me pick up the pieces and put my life together after suffering for years without treatment from a Schizoaffective Disorder that ruled and tormented it.

Love, Air and Water: Discovery and Treatment of a Schizoaffective Disorder is my  story as a 30-year-old woman from Maine who traveled to Pennsylvania and Massachusetts to pursue a education and a new life while trying to escape the clutches of something dark and convincingly difficult to comprehend within myself and in the world. Through many failed attempts at success and many pitfalls, I end up back in Maine with family who act to find out the origin of distress.

Everyone else has long accepted the fact of my illness before I had come to terms with it or realized that I was severely disabled, but the fact that I wasn't being successful began to weigh in as family members worked to get me an official testing, and through their efforts, they stuck to me through thick and thin. Their persistence proved successful. I was tested and treated with medications and therapy and put on Social Security Disability and employed at my mother’s office where she is a physician in Augusta, Maine.

Determined to stop the Schizoaffective Disorder from controlling my life, I scheme up “Thinking About Recovery" and plan to extricate myself from the bounds of a chronic illness by reasoning the meaning of recovery and medication and later turn to "Escaping the Illness" to finalize the actions that had been set into place. As often as I have conviction, nothing seems sure or for certain along the way. I include a chapter on Physical Health and Bulimia where I faced similar and different challenges aside from the problem of mental health, but again, I surmount these with help.

Since caretakers, patients and family members care deeply about the ways in which their lives are affected by illness and also identify with the difficulty of dealing with the disease, I think readers will find inspiration through a voice and story that is both illuminating and indelible. Honesty makes up the main fibers of this account. The trail from misdiagnosis to treatment is accurate and engaging for many others who have gone through these types of issues in their lives.

This story is set in Maine and Massachusetts, runs about 100,000 words and in some parts where my illness was prominent is somewhat similar in tone to Kurt Vonnegut's Hocus Pocus or William Burroughs Naked Lunch. A hyper-cerebral headiness mixes with lyrical and musical elements that brings the story through a chronological ordering from early years prior to Schizoaffective onset to 2016 post therapy and medication, including end thoughts, reflections and thinking about events in between.

I’m a 2014 graduate of Library Science from Simmons College and before that Anthropology at Franklin & Marshall College where I was encouraged to both further explore and pursue writing. I have also been encouraged by friends and family who would love to see it become part of my life. I think Love, Air and Water: Discovery and Treatment of a Schizoaffective Disorder achieves both. I hope you also find the same.

I have no previous publishing history and there has been no prior handling.

Yours Truly,

Mayla America Gleaton

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Non-Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users