Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

I'm working on a military themed story and I would like to get some things accurate.

At what rank does an officer NOT have to return salute or in what situation would an officer not have to return a salute to someone?

Also.

How are things to be done if a parent/spouse/sibling is the ranking officer? Could they interact as such? How might that play out?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

I'm no expert, but I believe all officers return a salute. It's about respect. As for the family element, I don't know.

#3 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

I know what you mean. But I've seen things where a really high ranking officer would straight up walk past someone and not return a salute. Or others who are merely in the room snap to attention and salute as the officer is entering or walking by.

Now if they were standing in front of him and salute, he'll return the salute. But I'm only noticing that super high ranking officers are the ones doing this.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

I think you're right.

#5 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

Well I'm still not sure. That's just what I've seen in documentaries. I was hoping that a few members here on this site who are in the military might be able to better explain things.

And maybe he was supposed to but didn't.

#6 RossWrites

RossWrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

You might find this helpful:

http://www.armystudy...-saluting.shtml

It provides a few examples of the situations it seeks to explain. I'm sure that there are official govt docs you could find as well.

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

I remember my Dad (a Naval Aviator) always yelling at the TV when a character in a movie saluted in a combat situation. If you salute a superior in a combat area, it tells a sniper who to shoot.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users