3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhylee

Rhylee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently None. I am hoping to change that.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

So here's my dilema.  I am looking to write a Query for a book that does not stand on its own.  It is part of a series and everything is not tied up in a nice bow at the end...  It's written in the style of PC Casts House of Night Series,  So the story continues in the next 3 books.  Questions are answered during each book of course.

Any suggesstions or is there a different format I should be following to Query?

Thanks for your help.

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

That's a tricky one, because usually agents want to know they can pitch your first book as a stand-alone. Although they are typically happy if a book has series potential, most publishers will not take a chance on a debut author beyond book #1.  (I mean, they will not offer multiple book contracts right away).

That is not always true, of course, but it is very often true. The agents and/or publishers want to know that book one will sell before they start offering contracts for two or three (or more) books. Also, they want to know that the author CAN deliver -- as in, meet deadlines, make necessary revisions, work with editors, etc.

Of course, sometimes a book is so attractive to an agent and/or pub. that they offer a multiple book deal right away. But that is rare.

Any way you can rework your first book to be a stand-alone that can still lead into a series? You don't have to answer all questions or solve all dilemmas in book one, but it should feel like a satisfactory ending (not a true "cliff-hanger.")

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

My gut. You must make it stand alone.

Although series potential is good I am hearing more and more stories of agents and editors putting off book 2 until they see how book 1 sells and even wanting an interim non-series book as the second book in a two book contract. 

These odds are long enough without crippling yourself. Rework the book.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 Rhylee

Rhylee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently None. I am hoping to change that.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

That's a tricky one, because usually agents want to know they can pitch your first book as a stand-alone. Although they are typically happy if a book has series potential, most publishers will not take a chance on a debut author beyond book #1.  (I mean, they will not offer multiple book contracts right away).

That is not always true, of course, but it is very often true. The agents and/or publishers want to know that book one will sell before they start offering contracts for two or three (or more) books. Also, they want to know that the author CAN deliver -- as in, meet deadlines, make necessary revisions, work with editors, etc.

Of course, sometimes a book is so attractive to an agent and/or pub. that they offer a multiple book deal right away. But that is rare.

Any way you can rework your first book to be a stand-alone that can still lead into a series? You don't have to answer all questions or solve all dilemmas in book one, but it should feel like a satisfactory ending (not a true "cliff-hanger.")

Thank you for your comments.  There is no way to make it a stand alone.  It does end on a cliff hanger but it's just to get into this seldom seen character that is an integral part of the story in the second book.  The one thing I have goiing for me right now is a call by a publishing house that is out for a paranormal romance shifter series and they do take new authors so it fits what they are looking for.  That being said, if it doesn't work out, I'll just take one of my other story ideas and write a stand alone to submit as my first novel.

I really do appreciate your help. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Erotica, Fantasy, Romance, New Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users