Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

Hey there, team, long time no see. Okay, I'm revising tonight and I've got this sentence. It just doesn't sound right. It's funky, I know, but I don't know what is wonky with it. I've tried rewording, but it doesn't flow: 

"No feeling compared to that of have taken a life, or watching that person die, and knowing that someone will miss them."

Should it be "have taken a life" or "having taken a life?"

#2 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Having taken a life.

Take out the 'or' as well.

:smile:

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#3 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Venture far from the Beaten Path

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

It's redundant.  "Watching that person die" repeats "have taken a life."  Just cleaning up "have taken a life" won't change the redundancy.  I would have gone with "taking a life" by the way.

Either remove the redundancy which isn't the best choice since it's the meat of the thought process that counts, or getting more intimate with it.  As an example (and ONLY an example since I don't know the particulars):

"No feeling compared to inflicting a mortal wound, watching that man die, and knowing a loved one will miss him."

Notice I culled "them" and "that person" as well since it gets closer to the details using "him" and "a loved one."  You could get closer still with "a loved one will mourn him."  That all depends on the character who has the thought.

Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#4 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Hey there, team, long time no see. Okay, I'm revising tonight and I've got this sentence. It just doesn't sound right. It's funky, I know, but I don't know what is wonky with it. I've tried rewording, but it doesn't flow: 

"No feeling compared to that of have taken a life, or watching that person die, and knowing that someone will miss them."

Should it be "have taken a life" or "having taken a life?"

I think you're trying to get too much into too short a sentence. You're not giving your two concepts enough individual attention. This sounds like it might be emotional but I can't tell what kind of emotion you're trying to convey. How about giving them something of a flavor? Is taking a life delectable (a vampire might think this way)? Is watching someone die repulsive (a young person might think so). I hope you get where I'm going with this, and I hope it helps a little with your dilemma.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

#5 mpowers

mpowers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

I think you are close. Perhaps this would work? Not sure if your character is thrilled with death or how it makes them feel or if they have experienced it and is saddened by it. 

"No other feeling compares to taking a life, or watching a person die and knowing someone will miss them."

#6 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks team - coming back to his with a clear mind really helped. I'd been editing a good twelve or hour hours and my brain had entered that jelly stage. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users