#1 kathleenq

kathleenq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

I've written a book from first person perspective, and so far I've been calling it a fictional memoir, which I'm pretty sure is not a category. The book is psychological (there's only one character) and is about a biological mass murderer. It's pretty much all in the unnamed narrator's head and focuses on the mental state through developing a disease and the subsequent aftermath. Any help would be appreciated!

Synopsis: Glass Domes

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Since I'm assuming you're not actually a mass murderer, it's not a memoir, it's a novel. If it's done diary-entry style you can call it an "epistolary novel" but other than that it's a novel. Memoir denotes non-fiction, or at least some elements of non-fiction/inspired by life experience. 

#3 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

What Thrash said. Novel, period, end of discussion.  Calling it anything else shows ignorance, so that's not advised. 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Yup. No two ways about it.

#5 Erik18

Erik18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Novels that don't fit comfortably into any genre are often referred to as "mainstream"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users