• Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Mark of Fate, Bad Caveman Publishing, 2011

Self published works:
    Burden of Fate, 2012
    Legacy of Fate, 2016
    When the Dead Rise: Series 1, 2016

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

It's recently been brought to my attention that some agents will auto-reject a query that refers to a manuscript as a novel. 

e.g. TITLE is a 100,000 word novel that would appeal...

Has anyone else heard about this? It seems a little rash to me, but the person who mentioned this reasons that because it's not in print yet, it shouldn't be referred to as a "novel". 

Thanks for any insight. 

CM

#2 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:55 AM

I don't know where your friend got that idea. Look at the AQ "Examples of Successful Queries" forum. Most do use the word "novel" in describing their manuscript. I wouldn't call it a "book" if has not been printed, but the word "novel" is a high level classification of the manuscript's contents and distinguishes your text from a "novella", "short story collection" and "screen play".

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

I've not heard that--but use "fiction novel" and yeah, kiss of death

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

That's nonsense. 

#5 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

Fiction novel is definitely bad -- don't do that! But novel, what else would you call it? Everyone refers to their novel as...as novel.

Maybe you mean novel vs. manuscript, but that's silly. A novel is a novel whether or not it's published.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users