Soreen Laythyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm not a published author

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hi guys, I have a few questions that I hope you'll be able to answer for me. Now, my novel is about a boy who can see ghosts of our dearly departed. The trouble here is that I need to know more than just the bare term ghost. Like apparitions and poltergeists. If anyone had any information, it's be greatly appreciated. Also since I'm here, does anyone know anything about trinity knots of Celtic knots?

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

If you just need a list of synonyms for "ghosts":: departed, spirits, visions, echoes, spook, hollow men, demons, wraith, phantom, ghoul, geist, spectre, bogey, boggart, shade. If you give me a bit more n what you'd like to write, I may be able to direct you to stories to read for research.

Also called the triquetra or triskellion (slightly different designs) the trinity knot is a fairly ancient symbol & like other ancient symbols has come to mean many things, so it's hard to say (re:impossible) what it's original meaning was. After the isle was fully Christian-ified the symbol was associated with the holy trinity--father, son, holy ghost (or spirit, soul, etc haha). But this was one of the many appropriations of pre-Christian Irish culture. Before that, the meaning is disputed--some say life, death, rebirth; others say maiden, mother, and crone, and others still say heaven, hell, and earth.  Name a trio of abstractions, someone has attributed the trinity knot to it. ::shrug:: I've read that the complex knots were carved into shields to confuse the eyes of northern enemies. 

#3 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

It might not hurt to watch a few ghost hunting shows. Yes, they're ridiculous, but they're good for terminology. These are people who have put a lot of thought into the subject.

Off the top of my head, there's residual ghosts, which are just like echoes or imprints. They're not intelligent, they don't interact, they're like a record stuck on repeat. Intelligent entities are at least partially aware of their surroundings and might respond or interact with the world around them. Poltergeists aren't really ghosts--they're normally connected to unhappy living people, not dead ones.

Depending on what type of story you're trying to tell, there's the more controversial demonic entities (which were never living people) or shadow people (which nobody really knows what they are besides creepy as all get out).

Anyway, a simple Google search for "types of ghosts" (assuming I interpreted your question correctly) comes up with all sorts of types, as well as ways they manifest in the world. Hope that helps!

#4 Soreen Laythyn

Soreen Laythyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I have watched shows like ghost whisperer and I've seen a few terms, but I'm really going to look up types of ghosts. So far I've only got residual and I've done more research into poltergeists. As for the trinity knot, what I read from this post was really helpful, I didn't know any of that, just that it was from Christianity. The three things I've connected my Trinity knot to in my novel, is life, death and limbo. Please tell me how you feel about that. Thanks

#5 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

I think that makes sense. The trinity knot is not such a hard-fast symbol of a particular denomination or belief structure that you're going to offend (well, you're not going to offend a large group, anyway) by co-opting it in a fantasy. It was used in Charmed to represent the three witches, and I'm sure it's not the only fantasy story that claimed a "true" meaning of the knot. 

Remember that this is your story---it needs to have it's own internal logic, but that can be different from any other "ghost" story that's ever been. 

#6 Soreen Laythyn

Soreen Laythyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

Thanks, I felt comfortable using the trinity knot, not only because it doesn't really fit into any one denomination. It was that, paired with the fact that there are so many other knots that I can use, but the Trinity knot is the one that everyone seems to recall the most. I really believe that it can take my story somewhere that no one else has written about yet. And if they have, well mine will be a unique twist. 🤗

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ghosts, help, thanks, anything you guys can think, trinity knot, celtic knots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users