Lace, pearls and petticoats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Brittany and I'm a 28 year-old writer dabbling in historical YA fiction.

I've been writing as long as I can remember, but never have I really had an idea that has inspired me as much as my current WIP.

It's with this idea, and the evolution of it over the past year or so, that I have finally decided to take the plunge and work on a 'proper' manuscript.

I am incredibly eager to connect with fellow historical writers (especially those writing for a Young Adult audience) for critiquing, beta reading and general chit-chat and research queries. As I'm often suffering from severe writer's block, it would be great to have someone to chat to who is going through the same process.

My current WIP is set in the Edwardian era, in Yorkshire and includes some fantasy elements. I visited Yorkshire in October last year, which was fantastic (I live in Australia!) and made me more determined than ever to get the story down on paper!

I hope to hear from some of you!

Budding writer of historical YA fiction...

#2 Isabel Lauren

Isabel Lauren

New Kid on da Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not a published author.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hi Brittany!

I'm new here, too, and I'm also interested in historical YA.

I'd love to know if there's a specific reason why you chose the era and setting that you did--have you always been interested in the Edwardian era? Did you decide to write about Yorkshire before you visited, or was the setting determined after?

I'm just very excited to meet someone that's also interested in writing historical YA!

#3 Brittany Astor

Brittany Astor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Hi, Isabel!!!

Thrilled to meet you, too! Another historical YA writer *high fives*

Yes, there is a specific reason! My favourite book and movie has always been The Secret Garden, so I was inspired to begin work on a re-telling that incorporated some fantasy elements along with slightly aging up the characters to fit in with the YA genre. I thought this would give them a chance to develop in a unique way, specific to me.

The book/movie is of course set in North Yorkshire, so I have always wanted to visit the settings from the film - particularly the North York Moors, which I did and LOVED!

I've always been partial to the Victorian/Edwardian era, but now that I know more about the Edwardian era, it's a solid favourite of mine. Becoming a fan of Downton Abbey also encouraged me a bit!

#4 Isabel Lauren

Isabel Lauren

New Kid on da Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not a published author.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

The whole idea sounds fantastic, and the fact that you got to visit the setting--even cooler!!

I hope I get to hear more about your WIP in the future (more specifically, that you've finished and you're getting published--lol).

Good luck and if you're ever stuck with writer's block, let me know! I'm not the best at focusing on anything, but maybe we can come up with some techniques together!

#5 Brittany Astor

Brittany Astor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

Great, thank you - that would be fantastic!!! Just having someone in your corner is sometimes enough to smash past the writer's block!

I'm glad you like the idea behind my story!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users