No replies to this topic

#1 ebillblack1

ebillblack1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have minimal experience. I have a manuscript I'd like to move forward with plans to write additional books. I have published one website article and one magazine article. I have a modest social media presence and website for blogging, etc.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Hi all!

I have a couple of questions which I'm certain you will have a great answers to, nevertheless I hope I'm not imposing (too much). I don't mind the part about embarrassing myself because I'm new at this.

I have written a memoir. Of course I am the only one who has ever done such a thing!  I am looking for advice on how to find someone to edit using the shoestring budget I have. I just have a disability income but am willing to barter or trade off services, etc. (I have some IT and minimal social media skills.)

I have written the memoir in MS Word 2013. It is about 35,000 words and 115 pages. I have it available in Google Docs and even a file that can be used for kindle on iphone (.azk). I have a KDP account all set up. I plan on releasing the Kindle eBook and a paperback print on demand. I even have a prototype web site, facebook page and twitter account, etc.

I'm sure it's been a while since most of you have been through these embryonic stages but I would sure appreciate some candid advice. In a nutshell, this first in a series memoir, recollects my life as a compulsive gambler with multiple addictions and mental health issues (co-occurring disorders). My plan is to encourage and promote hope and recovery to other vets/non-vets suffering from addiction and mental health issues as well.

Although I live in Southern Califonia, I am currently staying in a relatives  cabin in the Oregon Cascades on what I am calling a "writing retreat" (or retweet if you are Republican) so I can progress rapidly after a long period of procrastination. I have begun a second manuscript and have plans to outline others before I leave to go back down south in a couple of days.

As if I haven't been audacious or delerious enough...do I have a chance in hell of getting an agent to take a look at what I've written based on what I've described so far? If so, is there some guidance out there in the universe on how to attract such interest?

Thanks so much for your attention to my words,

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users