So for a hook to work it HAS to have these things:
1) The MC
2) What the MC wants or has to do
3) Who or what is preventing the MC from obtaining/completing his/her goals.
4) What the MC is going to do to overcome
5) * sometimes * what's at risk if the MC doesn't complete the journey.
Loglines for films are done in almost the same way, so check this link out:
A decent hook would be something along the lines of:
Atheist Jason Mandoza and his wife invented the dohickey, but when the Four Horsemen tell them a fallen angel will threaten humanity with it, they must put their egos and worldview aside to save the day.
So it's tacky and has nothing to do with your story, but we have:
1) Jason and his wife (Jason being the MC)
2) He wants to build the doohickey
3) A fallen angel will use the doohickey to destroy the world
4) Put his worldview aside and trust the four horsemen
5) to save the world.