Disclaimer

Photo

Attempt at 1st hook (YA/NA speculative fiction)

Fiction Science Fiction Fantasy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published through CreateSpace.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Have you ever wondered what heaven is like or if all the gods and the Four Horsemen existed? #WhenChildrenPlayGod

Edit - new hooks: 5/22/2017

• The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are real and they're trying to save your life. #WhenChildrenPlayGod #ThingsGoToHell

• The Four Horsemen are trying to save the world but things aren't going their way. #WhenChildrenPlayGod #ThingsGoToHell

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Not sure why the twitter link is included here. But this hook doesn't tell us anything. Questions generally don't lead us anywhere and this has no context. I would start with A) who is the mc and what they want B)What get's in their way. It also reads more like fantasy than sci-fi. 

#3 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

That's just the hashtag included with the hook. Didn't realize it would auto-link to Twitter.

I put it as sci-fi over fantasy because there are a lot of science fiction in it (such as how time works). Speculative Fiction might be better since it's more general and encompasses both?

#4 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

That's just the hashtag included with the hook. Didn't realize it would auto-link to Twitter.

I put it as sci-fi over fantasy because there are a lot of science fiction in it (such as how time works). Speculative Fiction might be better since it's more general and encompasses both?

I'm not sure I would immediately say science fiction after reading your query. That didn't pop out at me at all. I would say more Fantasy(I didn't see any science fiction elements). But if it's not a technological aspect in relation to it I wouldn't consider science fiction. If you've read Outlander. Time travel is involved, but it's in no way science fiction to me. It just has to have that technological aspect with these elements from my point of view. If it's just power and abilities(unless some tech or radiation causes it and that explored sort of thing.) Are the characters in your story using tech over fantasy? That didn't really come across in the query as anything remotely related to science fiction. A nice concept but it read as fantasy they way you wrote it. 

As four your new hooks. I like the twist on the four horsemen, but you need more specificity. It's still somewhat vague. 

#5 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:29 AM

I'm not sure I would immediately say science fiction after reading your query. That didn't pop out at me at all. I would say more Fantasy(I didn't see any science fiction elements). But if it's not a technological aspect in relation to it I wouldn't consider science fiction. If you've read Outlander. Time travel is involved, but it's in no way science fiction to me. It just has to have that technological aspect with these elements from my point of view. If it's just power and abilities(unless some tech or radiation causes it and that explored sort of thing.) Are the characters in your story using tech over fantasy? That didn't really come across in the query as anything remotely related to science fiction. A nice concept but it read as fantasy they way you wrote it. 

As four your new hooks. I like the twist on the four horsemen, but you need more specificity. It's still somewhat vague. 

The science aspect is more so things like how the world works (time, physics, etc don't always follow the rules). I will change it to fantasy. 

I will try more hooks tomorrow.

Thanks!!

#6 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

A man and his wife, the Four Horsemen, a fallen angel; the fate of humanity rests on the backs fragile egos.

#7 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

So for a hook to work it HAS to have these things:

1) The MC

2) What the MC wants or has to do

3) Who or what is preventing the MC from obtaining/completing his/her goals.

4) What the MC is going to do to overcome

5) * sometimes * what's at risk if the MC doesn't complete the journey.

Loglines for films are done in almost the same way, so check this link out:

http://nofilmschool....riting-loglines

A decent hook would be something along the lines of:

Atheist Jason Mandoza and his wife invented the dohickey, but when the Four Horsemen tell them a fallen angel will threaten humanity with it, they must put their egos and worldview aside to save the day.

So it's tacky and has nothing to do with your story, but we have:

1) Jason and his wife (Jason being the MC)

2) He wants to build the doohickey

3) A fallen angel will use the doohickey to destroy the world

4) Put his worldview aside and trust the four horsemen

5) to save the world.

#8 Beth Kerring

Beth Kerring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:"The Boy Behind the Wall" (short story) published in Sick Lit Magazine in April 2017.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'm still fairly new to hooks myself, but I like what Niambi suggested. The initial hooks do catch my attention, but I found myself more interested when hearing about the characters involved and why this particular struggle is difficult for them. The earlier hooks give me an idea of the world, but I think more knowledge of the actual characters would help those hearing the hook feel more invested in those characters, rather than just the world they're living in.

Your story sounds really interesting, by the way!

#9 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, guys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Science Fiction, Fantasy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users