7 replies to this topic

#1 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published through CreateSpace.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

So, I'm having a little trouble fitting my newest piece in a [few] genres. It has aspects of Science Fantasy, Historical Fantasy, Alternative History, and Apocalyptic. So should I market it as Fantasy or Speculative Fiction? And age: YA or NA?

A really rough "about":

Deus (God) creates Earth as a diorama for his wife (Gaia) as an anniversary present. He planned on presented it to her at a party whose guest list included the rest of the gods. The Earth starts with Adam and Eve and ends about this time. Things don't go as planned and it's no longer the perfect "playground" Deus had created (he created it with just Adam and Eve and everything after that was not supposed to happen) and he thinks his kids (the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse) messed it up so he implores them to fix it before the party. Things, however, only get worse. 

Most of the story follows the Four Horsemen (the equivalent of people in their late-teens and early-twenties). There are a few sex/sexual assault scenes.

Thanks!!

#2 kathleenq

kathleenq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

This sounds like Fantasy. I would also look at other books that use demigods or gods as main characters and see what they use (Percy Jackson comes to mind).

early 20s would be pushing YA for me, but if their age isn't well defined in the book, you could probably sell it as YA.

Synopsis: Glass Domes

#3 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:A few short stories.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

I agree sounds like Fantasy but you could go YA if your voice and themes are similar to other YA novels that live in a Sci Fi/Fantasy realm.  What is the voice like?  Is it like a Percy Jason novel or more like American Gods?

#4 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

The characters are immature. Not naive like Percy Jackson but the 'not a care in the world' nonchalant way teens tend to only care about their world.

I'd started putting it as YA Fantasy there are slightly "more mature" sex scenes in it (hence the question between YA or NA).

#5 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

If the main character is 18+, it's Adult. Ages 13-18 are Young Adult. 

Also, I suggest writer the character at the age you want them to be. Don't de-age your character thinking that you'll have a better chance getting into the YA market. It's a flooded field. Don't write for a market - by the time you're finished with your book and sending it out, the trends will change, and then if your book is accepted, by the time it's on the shelves, the trends will have changed again. 

#6 rvehall

rvehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

If the main character is 18+, it's Adult. Ages 13-18 are Young Adult. 

Also, I suggest writer the character at the age you want them to be. Don't de-age your character thinking that you'll have a better chance getting into the YA market. It's a flooded field. Don't write for a market - by the time you're finished with your book and sending it out, the trends will change, and then if your book is accepted, by the time it's on the shelves, the trends will have changed again.

There's also NA that's in-between YA and A.

Also, I'm not writing to shove it into a certain age group. They so happened to turn into immature buttmunches.

And, as I've said before, they don't have the same age distinction as humans. (Married for a quarter million years - there's no way for them to age the same.) So, to say that they're 21 or 18 or 16, well, that's really based on how people act at those ages. They drink but that's about only adult thing (as in able to do it legally) they do. Everything else, as I've said, they have a "'not a care in the world' nonchalant way teens tend to only care about their world" out look.

Thanks!

#7 Erik18

Erik18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

I love your story.  It's playful and fun and open to all kinds of possibilities.  I think your description/synopsis of your story is very well-written.  It's short and concise and gives a reader a good idea of what elements are involved.  Perhaps you should let that description speak for itself rather than placing a label on it.  I think we sometimes limit our possibilities by using such labels.  You might label something YA or NA, but the story may appeal to adults as well.  A reader seeking novels with adult appeal might discount a story before giving it a chance if it's labelled YA.

#8 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

Thematically, this sounds more appropriate for the adult market to me. And not because of the sex -- there can be sex scenes in YA. It just sounds like it is more about (a perhaps satirical?) look at the world, rather than focused on young adults who are discovering more about life and learning who they are/want to be. (Esp. since your "young adults" really aren't -- they are ageless mythical beings). Just my opinion, of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, New Adult, Science Fiction, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users