#1 AubreyGrace

AubreyGrace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Okay, so i've been stressing this past year as I rewrote my novel. I've been stuck between whether my novel is YA, NA, or A. My novel is told from multiple POV's all of them being 18 or under, but only one MC is 20. This is where things get confusing for me. My 20-year-old MC goes through a lot of the same struggles of anyone at any age, love and lose, which is why I think my novel can be a YA, but still, at the end of the day, she's still 20. It's a fantasy novel, dealing with war and redemption, think the Red Queen series, or The Lunar Chronicles. Can it still be considered YA if only one MC is 20, or is it more in the range of NA, or A?

Aubrey Grace Tomlinson

#2 inkandcocoa

inkandcocoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've worked as a literary assistant reading over 900 query letters in the last 4 months (for one agent). I've seen a good portion of the cliches in the book and love helping writers refine their query letters. My goal is to work in the industry as an agent or editor one day, and maybe publish a book or two of my own along the way.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

I think with only one of your POV characters being 20 it could still be considered YA, depending on the agent's thoughts and the issues each character has to deal with in the book. Another opinion is to pitch it simply as a fantasy to keep yourself open to an agent who might be better able to place it in one age-group over another after reading a partial or full (think A Darker Shade of Magic -- some of the characters' with POV's are older and younger than others around them, bridging both age groups between YA and NA but it's simply categorized as Fantasy in most bookstores, not syphoned down into one 'age' over another).

If you've got the time, check out my query for a Sci-Fi Western, BEAST.

I'm also looking for a couple beta readers for conceptual edits on the project (DM me if interested).

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

If most of your characters are 18 and under, it's probably YA. The genre also depends on themes and writing style. For example, I've read YA books with multiple adult POV characters. The way the book is told - for the YA reader - determines the genre, too. If you're not sure, go check out the bookstore and find examples of YA books with adult narration. 

#4 AubreyGrace

AubreyGrace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Thanks so much guys, I've been bothered by this topic for so long. So many people told me it couldn't be a YA simply based on that one MC, but I've read many books with MC over 20. Guess I just needed a second opinion. :)

Aubrey Grace Tomlinson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Adventure, Fantasy, Gay Lesbian, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users