Disclaimer

Photo

Do you pick genre first or start with the story?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Genre or Story first? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you write with the genre in mind?

1. I write the story first then figure out the genre (12 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. The genre inspires what story I write (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kdall

kdall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

Just curious...

Does anyone ever set out to fit into a particular genre? Maybe due to an agent's request, or you think it'll be popular?

Or do most writers here have an idea and then figure out what your genre is? Do you ever re-write to fit a genre better?

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

For a first story I just began writing and then figured out where that manuscript fit. BUT BE AWARE once you sell something you will be expected (at least in the short run) to continue to produce work in a similar vein. So if you have a sci-fi fantasy manuscript and a romance manuscript before you decide which to query and pursue publication for ask yourself which do you want to write more of for the next half-dozen to dozen years. Publishers seeking to help you build a brand will not only want the same genre but in many cases similar work (eg. number of POV's or if you are say a "blood and battle" writer in historical fiction they will not suddenly want a "court intrigue" tale). If it seems narrow it is. But remember for publishers--and for writers who want to keep on writing--branding is essential. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

I did at first. At first I figured I'd be writing for young adults primarily, but then I decided, since I never really cut any slack for kids, I probably should promote to adults and let them decide if they want their kids to read my stuff.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

I started out to write a YA Fantasy about a year or so ago. I wrote it, but the entire time it felt off. Since, I've revised it so the MC is older, and it feels better. It feels more natural. I'm better at the Adult/New Adult genre, as it turns out! 

I'm finding that when the genre comes first, the story is sometimes squished into the mold. 

#5 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

I picked the genre first, in my case science fiction, then learned that it fit more into speculative fiction as I finished up the first draft.

#6 jaustail

jaustail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Foliate Oak Literary Magazine. Short Story.

Posted Today, 05:56 AM

It varies. I've written short stories where I knew from beginning it would be funny.

JUPITER'S AMBITION

Space Opera

First 250 words.

Link

#7 Faltho

Faltho

Ravenclaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

Usually I let the story just kinda happen organically then work my way from there. I might have an idea that something will be MG or YA, but you can never really tell till it's finished.

#8 jaustail

jaustail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Foliate Oak Literary Magazine. Short Story.

Posted Today, 10:33 AM

I thought my book was MG until a beta reader said it's Adult. :laugh:

JUPITER'S AMBITION

Space Opera

First 250 words.

Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users