RossWrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

I've heard too many agents say that with sample pages they read until they have a reason not to. One simple thing that turns them off and they stop reading and send the dreaded "Dear Author" rejection letter. It seems picky, but I get it, they have hundreds of submission a month to go over.

So, I want to avoid anything that might lead to that response.

My manuscript follows an American in France. The first line of dialogue is in French. It's only two words and the MC's response, written in English, makes the meaning very clear. I note right afterward the MC translating in his head.

I have it written in this way to present to the reader that everything being spoken is actually in French for the characters, even though it is mostly all written in English.

It's very clear very quickly, but would just seeing the words in a foreign language be enough of a turn-off for an agent to not even read past the words? Would I be giving them an excuse to move on right away? Am I making a problem for myself I don't need, or worrying about nothing? I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Borrowing trouble. Sounds clear to me. Don't fret. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users