#1 CMcFarlane

CMcFarlane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

I'm having some issues deciding the genre for my manuscript. According to RWA, it can't technically be classified as a romance...though, it is a love story. It's not strictly historical fiction, either. Magical realism, maybe? Ugh...I'm confused. :)  Since I'll be querying soon, I want to make sure I'm not classifying it incorrectly. ​Below is a rough draft of my query letter. I know it's long and I'm working on tightening it up. Please let me know where you believe this story would fall...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perpetually reincarnated and supernaturally gifted, Elzada Montclair finds herself face-to-face with Cole Devereaux, the mirror-image of her long-lost love…the historic Mark Antony. Once her secret suspicions regarding his ancient past are revealed, will Cole turn his back forever? Or will her confession resurrect a once-in-an-existence love, cut tragically short in 30BC?

When Elzada first spies Cole sitting on the sun-drenched patio of an Irish pub in the heart of The Woodlands, Texas, her carefully crafted façade of this lifetime comes crashing down around her. Desperate to know if it’s truly him, she approaches this poor down-on-his-luck author with literary fodder that’s too tempting to resist.

From the start, Cole is smitten. Elzada is undeniably beautiful; though, he feels drawn to her for reasons he doesn’t fully understand. Initially offended by her implausible proposal to alleviate his nasty case of writer’s block, he finds her too alluring to walk away.

In THE CURSED LIFE OF ELZADA MONTCLAIR, Elzada leads us on an incredible journey through her first incarnation as Isadora, Oracle to Queen Cleopatra VII, Egypt’s final pharaoh. Filled with adventure and revenge, love and heartbreak, her life anonymously shaped the fate of Egypt during one of the most tumultuous periods in antiquity. In the vein of Noah from The Notebook, she recounts her memoir in vivid detail hoping to awaken latent memories of Cole’s own past lives. Hidden deep within his subconscious, will she discover Mark Antony?

A love story at its core, THE CURSED LIFE OF ELZADA MONTCLAIR is an intriguing blend of contemporary and historical fiction, laced with threads of romance and the paranormal. This is my first manuscript, complete at just under 112k words. It stands alone, but is written with the intent of being the first in a series of five books. Each subsequent release will follow Elzada and Cole as their relationship progresses in the contemporary, while she narrates tales of her past lives to feed his novelist aspirations.

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

romantic fantasy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users