#1 RavenRum

RavenRum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

After years and years of being on this forum, I finally managed to get myself an agent. I signed John Jarrold, who reps John Gwynne, Ramsey Campbell and Melinda Snodgrass (of GRRM's Wild Cards fame). And this is the query letter I used to do it, and collect full requests from 12 other agents. I don't know how my bumbling two paragraphs managed to do it, but here am I. I learned so much from seeing successful queries, and hopefully this'll help others out, too. A way to pay it back, I guess.

Here goes:

Accused mass murderer Kira Vijov used to be a respected Rogueman, enforcing the law across the Intergalactic Sprawl. Now, stripped of his rank, he's just another exiled gun for hire and only his sister Ashby believes he didn't massacre all those people. Still a Rogueman at heart, all Kira remembers is waking up inside an impenetrable vault among blood and bodies, with the memory of a colossal ship in the sky.

When that same ship appears on the other side of the galaxy and people start to vanish, including his sister, the Sprawl comes to Kira for help. He agrees to hunt down the killers who destroyed his life and took Ashby. But the locals make their own rules on the edge of the galaxy, and Kira is going to need dangerous allies to survive. Even if it means getting his hands dirtier than a Rogueman ever should. As the mystery unfolds and his past with it, Kira starts to question his own innocence. He’ll have to decide between saving his sister and uncovering a terrible secret that’s been decades in the making. A secret he might just be part of.

THE ROGUE GALAXY is 104,000 words and is SEVEN meets LEVIATHAN WAKES with a dash of MASS EFFECT. My dozens of fiction publications have appeared in Nature (Macmillan), Abyss & Apex, Fantastic Stories of the Imagination, and my nonfiction in Strange Horizons, Tor.com, and Lightspeed’s PoC Destroy SF. I’m the fiction editor of Hugo-winning podcast StarShipSofa where I’ve worked with George R. R. Martin, William Gibson, Joe Lansdale, among others. I’ve lived on three continents and have a BA in Film Studies and Creative Writing.

#2 ejmccay

ejmccay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Nope.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

Wow. Congrats!

#3 purplecat

purplecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Sounds like an exciting story. Congratulations!

#4 RavenRum

RavenRum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. :)

#5 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

Congratulations!

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Very nice. And a good example of how having built a platform can help, too. I've not read your work, but I'd be impressed with the background.

#7 RavenRum

RavenRum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

Very nice. And a good example of how having built a platform can help, too. I've not read your work, but I'd be impressed with the background.

Thanks! I don't think my credits did much more than get agent's attention and show them I (hopefully) had some sort of experience, but the actual representation came from the manuscript. You definitely don't need to have short fiction credits to get an agent, although as you say, it can help.

#8 Veldehar

Veldehar

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

That's a damned fine query, even without the bio. Congrats!

#9 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

Agreed, and WOW look at that bio!  

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#10 RavenRum

RavenRum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:32 PM