#1 Olive K. Aristen

Olive K. Aristen

O. Aristen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None (YET), though I did win an award for an unpublished manuscript.

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hi all! Thanks for your feedback on my other query. It was helpful, so I figured I'd toss this one out there too. I'm not super excited about the stakes. There are a few parts of the story that I think I could use, but tell me what you think of this one so I can figure out where to go from here. THANKS! Will of course return critique.

I’m seeking representation for my young adult science fiction novel, THE LEFT BEHIND. (Personalization).

251 years of cryo-sleep passed in the blink of an eye. When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve woke disoriented and feverish, she thought she was on a Danu, a planet half-way across the galaxy—the new home of the human race.

The problem is she never left Earth.

A year passes, and Terrah makes peace with being the only human left until three humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into JC2, the underground city where she has lived her whole life. Terrah is shocked to learn that not only is she not alone, but JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—and she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study Atra, the disease that infects her lungs allowing her to breathe Earth’s atmosphere. 

When NYC2 is attacked by a group of outlaws who want to infect themselves with Atra so they might have dominion over the surface, Terrah realizes that there are spies in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. But she must make a choice of who to trust. She also must decide if she should infect others, as her high school classmates want, and risk quarantine, or to flee before they can force her, and to banish the NYC’ers to forever live underground.

THE LEFT BEHIND is complete at X words, and, though it could easily stand alone, is the first in a planned series. The manuscript was a finalist in the Writers’ League of Texas’s 2017 Manuscript Contest in the SFF category. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Current query for critique: http://agentquerycon...ntasy/?p=340722

#2 secondstar87

secondstar87

secondstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Won 2nd place in the Reading Rainbow contest (all gotta start somewhere, right?)

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve woke disoriented and feverish, she thought she was on a Danu, a planet half-way across the galaxy—the new home of the human race. 251 years of cryo-sleep passed in the blink of an eye. Somehow this intro makes more sense to me with the sentences switched -- just a thought :) 

The problem is she never left Earth. I had to reread to figure out why this was a problem (she's the only one left). You may want to clarify and add a sentence explaining how in the world that happened! Also why have they abandoned earth?

A year passes, and Terrah makes peace with being the only human left until three humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into JC2, the underground city where she has lived her whole life. Terrah is shocked to learn that not only is she not alone, but and that JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—and she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study Atra, the disease that infects her lungs allowing her to breathe Earth’s atmosphere. Huh. So it's not really good news that she survived because it means she has a disease? Also these cities are all on earth, not other planets? Did the humans make it to Danu? Why did any of them remain? 

When NYC2 is attacked by a group of outlaws who want to infect themselves with Atra so they might have dominion over the surface, Terrah realizes that there are spies in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. But she must make a choice of who to trust. She also must decide if she should infect others, as her high school classmates want, and risk quarantine, or to flee before they can force her, and to banish the NYC’ers to forever live underground. So if the disease enables her to breathe, wouldn't that be a good thing? Why would it require quarantine??

This reminds me of Ember. It sounds interesting! I'd appreciate your thoughts on my query for "To Sail the Stars" 

http://agentquerycon...sail-the-stars/

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain 

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton 

#3 Olive K. Aristen

Olive K. Aristen

O. Aristen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None (YET), though I did win an award for an unpublished manuscript.

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Hey, thanks for looking at my new query. It's really helpful to see what people don't understand. I have to think of how I can add the details that were lacking!

#4 TheAnnie

TheAnnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

I’m seeking representation for my young adult science fiction novel, THE LEFT BEHIND. (Personalization). I wouldn't include this at all. The agent knows you're seeking representation; if not, why send a query in the first place? Also, I know you aren't here for a title critique, but I'm concerned about the title's similarity to the popular apocalyptic Left Behind series, since it's the first thing many people are going to think of when seeing your title.

251 years of cryo-sleep passed in the blink of an eye. When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve woke, disoriented and feverish, she thought she was on a Danu, a planet half-way across the galaxy—the new home of the human race.

The problem is she never left Earth. I'd rather you give us the specifics of how this happened rather than what happened.

A year passes, and Terrah makes peace with being the only human left until three humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into JC2, the underground city where she has lived her whole life.Whoa, wait--she's the only human left? But what happened to everyone else on her spaceship, since she presumably wasn't alone? There's a lot happening here, and it's a little disorienting. Terrah is shocked to learn that not only is she not alone, but JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—and she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study Atra, the disease that infects her lungs allowing her to breathe Earth’s atmosphere. You might want to consider adding a brief explanation of the setting's conditions here, since I'm confused about why it's noteworthy that she can breathe on earth. 

When NYC2 is attacked by a group of outlaws who want to infect themselves with Atra so they might have dominion over the surface, Terrah realizes that there are spies in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. But she must make a choice of who to trust. She also must decide if she should infect others, as her high school classmates want, and risk quarantine, or to flee before they can force her, and to banish the NYC’ers to forever live underground. Okay, this seems like the real plot. I'd spend more time on this and less time on the previous paragraph. Again, though, I'm really confused about what is happening here. Where did her high school friends come from?

THE LEFT BEHIND is complete at X words, and, though it could easily stand alone, is the first in a planned series. The manuscript was a finalist in the Writers’ League of Texas’s 2017 Manuscript Contest in the SFF category. 

I'd love some feedback on my YA fantasy query letter.

#5 kacimari

kacimari

Kacimari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Novels: Antithesis (YA Sci-Fi), Reflection Pond (#1), Poison Tree (Reflection Pond, #2) (YA Fantasy). Stepping Stones (YA Contemporary Fantasy). As an editor: Out of the Green: Tales from Fairyland.
    Short fiction in Sucker Literary Volume III,
    Spark Volume VII, and the inaugural issue of Ember: A Journal of Luminous Things.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

I’m seeking representation for my young adult science fiction novel, THE LEFT BEHIND. (Personalization).

251 years of cryo-sleep passes in the blink of an eye. When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve wakes woke disoriented and feverish, she thinks thought she's was on a Danu, a planet half-way across the galaxy—the new home of the human race.

A year passes, and Terrah makes peace with being the only human left. Where is everyone else? Does she try to find out why she's the only one left? Does she try to contact Danu? until Then three humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into JC2, the underground city where she has lived her whole life. Terrah is shocked to learn that Not only is she not alone, but JC2 is flooded flooded to describe air sits wrong with me. Can you use a different word? with toxic surface air—and she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study Atra, the disease that infects her lungs allowing her to breathe Earth’s atmosphere. Do they already know about the disease? Is she the only one with it? Does she know anything about NYC2 from before she went into cryo-sleep? I'm trying to figure out what her stakes are...what she wants. When she was alone, did she wish for people? I don't feel any tension in her choices.

When NYC2 is attacked by a group of outlaws who want to infect themselves with Atra so they might have dominion over the surface, Why? What do they stand to gain? Terrah realizes that there are spies in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. But specifically, what does she stand to lose? Are they going to steal her disease and then kill her? What's the downside to having Atra? But she must make a choice of who to trust. She also must decide if she should infect others, as her high school classmates want, and risk quarantine, or to flee before they can force her, and to banish the NYC’ers to forever live underground. These are a lot of decisions she has to make, but I still don't know what she stands to lose no matter what choice she makes.

Thank you for your time and consideration

I think you need to flesh out Terrah's stakes - what she wants and what she stands to lose. The plotting is interesting, but an agent will care more about what drives your character's choices.

Best of luck!

Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.

#6 BraveL

BraveL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

Before I give critique, I think this is a really strong query!

251 years of cryo-sleep passed in the blink of an eye. When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve woke disoriented and feverish, she thought she was on a Danu, a planet half-way across the galaxy—the new home of the human race.

A year passes, and Terrah makes peace with being the only human left until three humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into JC2, the underground city where she has lived her whole life. I'm a little confused here - she spent her first 17 years there too but thought she was on a transport going elsewhere? Maybe a couple more details about her life before she woke up would be useful. Terrah is shocked to learn that not only is she not alone, but JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—and she’s been breathing it for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study Atra, the disease that infects her lungs allowing her to breathe Earth’s atmosphere. For me, there are too many detais here. I would just say she agrees to travel with the so scientists can study how it is she's still alive. 

When NYC2 is attacked by a group of outlaws who want to infect themselves with Atra so they might have dominion over the surface, Terrah realizes that there are spies in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. Why would it matter if they have dominion over the surface if no one lives there? But she must make a choice of who to trust. She also must decide if she should infect others, as her high school classmates want, I would just say new friends, because you don't mention her starting school and risk quarantine, or to flee before they can force her, and to banish the NYC’ers to forever live underground.

Thank you for your time and consideration.  Good luck!

#7 Olive K. Aristen

Olive K. Aristen

O. Aristen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

UPDATE. Thanks for your feedback! Here's an updated query that addresses some things you all mentioned. It's a bit longer now, but tell me what you all think anyway:

When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve Lewis shuts her eyes succumbing to cryo-sleep drugs, she thinks she will wake and be on Danu, the human race’s new home planet halfway across the galaxy. But as she slumbers, her autonomous pod misses its rendezvous and crashes back to the surface of the Earth.

There it sits, for 251 years, at the bottom of the Hudson River, until the day she’s scheduled to arrive on Danu.

When her pod pops open in the now dry river bed, Tarrah scrambles back to JC2, the city she’s lived her whole life. For a year, Terrah thinks she’s the only human left on Earth. For all she knows, all the humans, billions of them, left Earth for the green pastures of Danu.

But some were left behind.

When Terrah leaves the safety of JC2 to retrieve replacements for broken sensors, humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into the city. She’s shocked that she’s not alone, but more shocked to learn JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—that she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study the mutated strain of the disease that infects her lungs, Atra. Thought to be deadly to humans but not some small mammals, Atra allows Terrah to breathe Earth’s toxic atmosphere.

Then NYC2 is attacked by the CRI, a group of outlaws who learned about Terrah and seek to control the Earth’s surface. When the CRI tries to kidnap her, Terrah realizes there are spies allied with CRI in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. She must decide if she should infect her friends in NYC2 who desperately want to exist on the surface, risking quarantine (again), or to flee before the CRI can find her, banishing the citizens of NYC2 to a future forever under the ground.

#8 Sataris

Sataris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Heya, thanks for the critique! Figured I'd return the favor..

When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve Lewis shuts her eyes succumbing to cryo-sleep drugs, she thinks she will wake and be on Danu, the human race’s new home planet halfway across the galaxy. But as she slumbers, her autonomous pod misses its rendezvous and crashes back to the surface of the Earth.

There it sits, for 251 years, at the bottom of the Hudson River, until the day she’s scheduled to arrive on Danu.

I think you could probably summarize this into a quicker tagline: When Terrah Eve's awakens from over two hundred years of cryo-sleep, she finds that she's on the wrong planet; the same desolate landscape that she set out to escape in the first place. Earth.

We miss out on a few details with this; the fact that people now live on Danu, the reason for her still being on earth (the malfunction with the rendevous) But otherwise, it addresses the longer length that you mentioned.

When her pod pops open in the dry river bed that used to be the Hudson, (Great image here), Tarrah scrambles back to JC2, the city she’s lived her whole life in. For a year (question- do we see this time pass in the story? if you can get away with cutting it, I probably would), Terrah thinks she’s the only human left on Earth. For all she knows, all the humans, billions of them, left Earth for the green pastures of Danu.

When Terrah leaves the safety of JC2 to retrieve replacements for broken sensors, humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into the city. She’s shocked that she’s not alone, but more shocked to learn JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—that she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study the mutated strain of the disease that infects her lungs, Atra. Thought to be deadly to humans but not some small mammals, Atra allows Terrah to breathe Earth’s toxic atmosphere.

I think this part could use a bit of paring down; all we really need to know is that Terra makes contact with people who may not have her best interests in mind, and that she alone holds the key to repopulating the earth (the disease). Which is pretty cool.

Then NYC2 is attacked by the CRI, a group of outlaws who learned about Terrah and seek to control the Earth’s surface. When the CRI tries to kidnap her, Terrah realizes there are spies allied with CRI in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. She must decide if she should infect her friends in NYC2 who desperately want to exist on the surface, risking quarantine (again), or to flee before the CRI can find her, banishing the citizens of NYC2 to a future forever under the ground.

I'm not sure you need to mention the kidnapping, unless it's an absolutely essential piece of the plot. The phrasing here makes it seem like the main thing that comes out of her kidnapping is that she realizes she has more enemies than she thought she had.

So her choices are: A. infect her friends at the risk or quarantine (not sure what quarantine means in this specific case, and wouldn't the CRI probably seek retribution if she let the disease propagate widely?) and B. Leave her friends behind and flee to safety (which makes total sense)

Is there a specific relationship that could raise the stakes for the friendship plot? Or maybe, are people looking at her as some sort of savior now, and she doesn't want to let them down? It seems like this is a solid conflict point, but it might add a bit of tension if we have a specific reason for her feeling so much loyalty to her friends that she'd be willing to risk her life on their behalf.

But yeah, this looks really good. I think you could probably try to pare down the details that aren't absolutely necessary - the ones that might stray into synopsis territory - in order to get the word count down. The cities are also fairly easy for someone who doesn't know the book to get confused; would it be possible to just skip mentioning the place she goes to first? the query makes it seem like the central function of JC2 is to give her a place to bide some time, and that the story actually starts when she sets off for sensors and gets talked into moving to NYC2.

Hope that's helpful. Let me know if any of that was unclear and good luck! Again, really cool idea with the disease.

#9 Lauraburns22

Lauraburns22

Never Enough Words

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:No published books...yet

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

When seventeen-year-old Terrah Eve Lewis shuts her eyes succumbing to cryo-sleep drugs, she thinks she will wake and be on Danu, the human race’s new home planet halfway across the galaxy. But as she slumbers, her autonomous pod misses its rendezvous and crashes back to the surface of the Earth. this hook sentence is really long and wordy so I think we all know that cryo sleep drugs are necessary for interstellar travel at this point 

There it sits, for 251 years, at the bottom of the Hudson River, until the day she’s scheduled to arrive on Danu. For some reason I'm getting an image of Wall-E in my head as he cleans up the mess the humans all left behind. 

When her pod pops open in the now dry river bed, Tarrah scrambles back to JC2, the city she’s lived her whole life. For a year, Terrah thinks she’s the only human left on Earth. For all she knows, all the humans, billions of them, left Earth for the green pastures of Danu.

But some were left behind. dun dun dun 

When necessity forces Terrah to leave the safety of her old home, too many details are distracting in this sentence

When Terrah leaves the safety of JC2 to retrieve replacements for broken sensors, humans outfitted in hazmat suits find their way into the city. She’s shocked that she’s not alone, but more shocked to learn JC2 is flooded with toxic surface air—that she’s been breathing for the last year. She agrees to travel to NYC2, where the city’s scientists want to study the mutated strain of the disease that infects her lungs, Atra. Thought to be deadly to humans but not some small mammals, Atra allows Terrah to breathe Earth’s toxic atmosphere. why'd they get left behind though? 

Then NYC2 the city is attacked by the CRI, a group of outlaws who learned about Terrah and seek to control the Earth’s surface. When the CRI tries to kidnap her, Terrah realizes there are spies allied with CRI the rebels/outlaws there's lots of acronyms and letters so try to use substitutions when you can. in the city and not everybody has her best interest at heart. She must decide if she should infect her friends in NYC2 who desperately want to exist on the surface, risking quarantine again, or to flee before the CRI can find her, banishing the citizens of NYC2 to a future forever under the ground.

Great cliff hanger to end on but you need a closing paragraph. just sentence or two to transition to your Best or Sincerely or whatever 

Hope this is helpful! Please review my query!

http://agentquerycon...hl=lauraburns22

#10 Olive K. Aristen

Olive K. Aristen

O. Aristen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Lauraburns22, Sataris,

This is all great. I especially appreciate the cut down of the first paragraph, Sataris.

There is a last paragraph too, it's above.

I do also have a mini-bio thing, but I left it off here. I'm not particularly sure I'm going to use it, since I don't really have any academic qualifications, although, I am an attorney. I usually put something about how I'm an attorney and combat vet, and leave it at that.

#11 klnorton

klnorton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

Couldn't resist because we're both taking on cryo =) If my notes make it hard to see what I'd keep vs toss, I posted the whole thing at the end.

UPDATE. Thanks for your feedback! Here's an updated query that addresses some things you all mentioned. It's a bit longer now, but tell me what you all think anyway:

I'd try this: Seventeen-year-old Terrah Lewis assumes she'll wake on Earth's new home planet, but her pod misses its rendezvous and crashes to the bottom of the Hudson River. When her pod pops open 251 years later in the now dry river bed, Tarrah scrambles back to her abandoned hometown.

I feel like that tightens things up and leaves out unnecessary words.

When her pod pops open in the now dry river bed, Tarrah scrambles back to JC2, the city she’s lived her whole life. For a year, if she's alone for a year, she's now 18, which puts you closer to the NA category than YA - if she was 16 when she launched that would be better Terrah thinks she’s the only human left on Earth. For all she knows, all the humans, billions of them, left Earth for the green pastures of Danu.

I'd try this: Now seventeen, Terrah has given up hope that any other humans were left behind, until people in hazmat suits find her. 

I feel like that sums up the rest of that paragraph and part of the next. It took me a bit to understand Atra. At first I thought you were saying Atra was from the toxic surface air. So I'd try this next: Shocked by their existence, Terrah agrees to let the scientists study the mutated strain of the disease that infects her lungs: Atra. Thought to be deadly to humans, Atra has been allowing Terrah to breath Earth's toxic atmosphere.

I'd try this for the last bit: When the CRI (does this stand for something? If so - spell it out), a group of rebels (this sounds better than outlaws, but if it needs to be outlaws use that) learns about Terrah's mutated strand of Atra, they try to kidnap her. With spies among the scientists, Terrah doesn't know who to trust, or who has her best interest at heart. She must decide if infecting her new friends with Atra to allow them life on the surface is worth risking quarantine (again), or if she should flee the CRI and leave her friends to a future forever under ground.

I'm a little confused about the stakes here. What will she lose if the CRI finds her? And what's so risky about quarantine? I think if you can clear that up, the last bit will be much more compelling! 

Because you posted this above, I'll add my thoughts here: 

THE LEFT BEHIND I know titles can be touchy, but I'd encourage you to pick something else since there's a very popular Christian series called The Left Behind series is complete at X words. It is a standalone novel with series potential. , and, though it could easily stand alone, is the first in a planned series. The manuscript was a finalist in the Writers’ League of Texas’s 2017 Manuscript Contest in the SFF category. 

Since the above is so messy, here's how I would piece it all together:

Sixteen-year-old Terrah Lewis assumes she'll wake on Earth's new home planet, but her pod misses its rendezvous and crashes to the bottom of the Hudson River. When her pod pops open 251 years later in the now dry river bed, Tarrah scrambles back to her abandoned hometown.

Now seventeen, Terrah has given up hope that any other humans were left behind, until people in hazmat suits find her. Shocked by their existence, Terrah agrees to let the scientists study the mutated strain of the disease that infects her lungs: Atra. Thought to be deadly to humans, Atra has been allowing Terrah to breath Earth's toxic atmosphere.

When the CRI, a group of rebels, learns about Terrah's mutated strand of Atra, they try to kidnap her. With spies among the scientists, Terrah doesn't know who to trust, or who has her best interest at heart. She must decide if infecting her new friends with Atra to allow them life on the surface is worth risking quarantine (again), or if she should flee the CRI and leave her friends to a future forever under ground.

THE LEFT BEHIND is complete is complete at x words. It is a standalone novel with series potential. The manuscript was a finalist in the Writers’ League of Texas’s 2017 Manuscript Contest in the SFF category. 

Hope this is helpful! Sounds like a fun read!

~ Karyne Norton

Facebook: Karyne Norton

One reason that people have artist's block is that they do not respect the law of dormancy in nature. Trees don't produce fruit all year long, constantly. They have a point where they go dormant. And when you are in a dormant period creatively, if you can arrange your life to do the technical tasks that don't take creativity, you are essentially preparing for the spring when it will all blossom again. - Marshall Vandruff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Young Adult, Science Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users