mxeverly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hallo!

After browsing about at the many forums, I've come to learn many things that I hadn't before. I have always been a more solitary writer where my story work is seen only by me. I've presented messages, spoken word, etc, but not my stories. Because I one day hope to share my stories via being published, I decided to seek out a community. Thus, long story short, here I am :)

I've done research online with different articles on how to do this step by step but I definitely want to learn from actual individuals. I believe the information from there is invaluable. So...

How does one start?

Or maybe it's better if I give you what I have and suggestions on how to go forward from here would be easier?

My situation: I have a world. It spans 9 books on the main story line (1 complete novel in editing phases/book 1, 1/3-1/2 complete on the remaining 8), 3 full outlines on 2 side character stories, 3 brainstorms on another 2 side character stories and another stand alone on another character. All of these can be their own series on the side (9, 3 and 3). The characters in my main story line develop throughout each book, but more profoundly if you step back and look at them from the whole series journey. 

That being said, I'm noticing that many successful query letters have references to publications (articles, blogs, short stories, etc). I do not have those. I don't have any singular stories either, as I like the slow build of relationships and development. 

My first book has a young woman struggle to fight against her ideals of 'good always wins' and she somehow scrapes through at the end leading to her with a reckless, heroic streak in the next. The third book brings her down, further down than the even the first book, reminding her that though she means well, the world doesn't follow what you want. So she readjusts, reflects and finds her spine in the third book. Her development is interesting...but it takes a few books to see that.

I'm afraid that judging on the first book alone, her story won't catch the attention of agents/publishers. 

I think I'm rambling. (Nerves). Trying to sum it up to one question: I've got the world in my head. I've got the passion to write it. But what steps should I take to publish it? 

Not sure if I need to start a blog or write short stories or something...

Any and all advice is appreciated!

may blessings follow you evermore,

m.x.everly

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

First... go one book at a time.

Finish your first book. Get it to where you think it's publishable (You'll be surprised how much you'll have to change from there to publishing, but do your best).

When that's done, come back here for querying advise. 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Yes, that is excellent advice. Also, never stop learning. Keep reading here and on your own.

As for the publishing question. Determine what you're trying to accomplish. What is important to you? Do you just want to see your name on the cover of a book? That's relatively easy these days. But if you want to develop a large audience, that depends on how much effort you're able and willing to put in, whether you have a big publisher or not.

If you want a big publisher, you're almost certainly going to need an agent. That's where the querying comes in. Query is this site's middle name. You've ensconced yourself within a community of many writers who are at the same level as you and many others who have more experience than you. But we're all trying to help one another succeed. Your success may not exactly be our success, but we'll feel pretty darn good about it, like we do about folks like Mindy McGinnis, MarcyKate Connolly, R.C. Lewis, Robert K. Lewis, Sophie Perinot.... the list of successful AQCers goes on.

So, Keep learning, keep writing, keep sharing knowledge.

#4 mxeverly

mxeverly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Yes, that is excellent advice. Also, never stop learning. Keep reading here and on your own.

As for the publishing question. Determine what you're trying to accomplish. What is important to you? Do you just want to see your name on the cover of a book? That's relatively easy these days. But if you want to develop a large audience, that depends on how much effort you're able and willing to put in, whether you have a big publisher or not.

If you want a big publisher, you're almost certainly going to need an agent. That's where the querying comes in. Query is this site's middle name. You've ensconced yourself within a community of many writers who are at the same level as you and many others who have more experience than you. But we're all trying to help one another succeed. Your success may not exactly be our success, but we'll feel pretty darn good about it, like we do about folks like Mindy McGinnis, MarcyKate Connolly, R.C. Lewis, Robert K. Lewis, Sophie Perinot.... the list of successful AQCers goes on.

So, Keep learning, keep writing, keep sharing knowledge.

First... go one book at a time.

Finish your first book. Get it to where you think it's publishable (You'll be surprised how much you'll have to change from there to publishing, but do your best).

When that's done, come back here for querying advise. 

Thank you both for your input! I deeply appreciate it.

Alright -- so looks like a good thing for me to do is to take a breath and streamline it. Focus on my first book, love it and get it to where it's what I would want to share with the world. 

Second -- Pinpoint what I want to get out of publishing.

My goal has always been to share my books with a (hopefully) large audience. Research often left me vague on self-publishing or agents, but I've always leaned towards agents. It was only on this website that I learned to keep publishers in mind. I always thought it was the agent's job to figure that out and set it up -- that a writer would write, agents manage and take care of the rest. Or at least, that's what Google told me.

I appreciate the insight very much!

may blessings follow you evermore,

m.x.everly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users